Max amount of products in cart?

Most of our products have about a dozen options (and some of these have configurable products attached to them). We are running into lots of problems when someone tries to order a lot of products at once.

For example we sell diplomas. It is not uncommon for someone to add 40 to 50 different diplomas (and all their options) to the cart.

Our customers are getting frustrated with the shopping cart. They spend a lot of time adding these products to the cart just to see the cart magically empty itself or have checkout problems.

Is their a max limit we are hitting? Or is cs-cart not designed for such a large shopping cart?

Any suggestions?

Cs-cart 3.06 Ultimate.

David

David,

This would be frustrating. Probably won't work for you since you have many customers, but I have a couple of customers that order many teacher cartoons. These have many personalization options (most don't change price). I have them just check out with the number of items and then supply them with a spreadsheet they complete for the details. They email me the spreadsheet. Works ok for me. Otherwise, if they try to add 20-30 heavily personalized items, they run the risk of having problems that you have described. Probably, right at the end and have to start over. Your situation is much more complicated with configurable products.

I think this type of situation that you describe is what CS-Cart should be working on instead of creating new major versions.

Bob

Yep, it is these many quirks (I can name dozens of them) that cs-cart store owners are forced to live with while developers ignore them and indulge themselves in creating new versions with the same old quirks still intact :(

[quote name=‘Triplets’ timestamp=‘1369521203’ post=‘162416’]

Yep, it is these many quirks (I can name dozens of them) that cs-cart store owners are forced to live with while developers ignore them and indulge themselves in creating new versions with the same old quirks still intact :(

[/quote]

Totally agree! I’m actually working on a list that I am planning to send to them. Would you mind sharing yours? http://forum.cs-cart…hould-be-fixed/

Guessing that since the cart is held in the SESSION that the server configuration for the maximum size of a session is too low to hold the cart with that many items plus whatever else might be stored in the session. I believe this is either a PHP config variable or an Apache parameter that can be adjusted. Check with your hosting provider to see what the max is. Double it and see if you get any improvement. It should be a 'limit' versus an 'allocation' so increasing it doesn't hurt anything if you don't use the additional space.

Well this is new to me, I often had people order 100 magazines in my old cart. This is going to be a big problem.

To make things worse the is no tracking of abandand orders either.

So whats the most items that can be added to the cart - It's not much of a cart if this can't be fixed. Why don't they create a temp order instead of holding things in sessions.