Manual shipping, priorities

So, I set up my shipping manually by weight, but I want to be able to offer free shipping on orders of $100 or more. I understand how to do that when your shipping scales by price, but can I set it up so that:

Shipping is calculated manually by weight, BUT if the order is over $100, shipping is free? Currently when I try to add cost dependencies to both weight and price, both are added together and applied at checkout, so the price by weight applies anyway even if it is over $100.

I tried making it into a promotion rather than a shipping method, but that still requires a shipping method to apply.

Some of my items prices tend to scale inversely with weight (smaller items cost more), so it makes it really hard to set up shipping by cost, with $100 as the free threshold.

So I guess what I’m getting at is, I want to be able to either set priorities in the shipping settings (if under $100, use weight calculations, if over $100 use cost calculations), or add a shipping option that is “hidden” (rather than activated or deactivated) until the promotion of “more than $100 in cart” is applied, or a promotion that waives shipping instead of applying a shipping method.

Are there any workarounds to this effect, or should I stick it in the suggestion forum?

I am not sure why you do not want to use a promotion. You could set up your shipping method to calculate by weight. Then create a free shipping promotion for orders over $100 and set if to use your standard weight-based shipping method. The shipping will not be charged.

Bob

OH I see, I was just really confused… I went to free shipping as a bonus and it wanted me to select a shipping option… I thought I had to create a tiered free shipping option in order for the shipping to be free rather than just selecting the normal usps ground or whatever.

Never mind thank you!