live stock tracking

I have always just set everything to “in stock” and when something becomes unavailable set the amount to 0. But my ongoing problem is selling several of a certain item in a certain day and then not being able to supply an “in stock” item. But I’m thinking of using the inbuilt stock tracking in CS-Cart. Who uses this?

Does it cost you sales or would you say its better overall?

I think it’s a good idea to sell only what you have in stock, unless your providers are very prompt at sending you the goods you’re stating you have on stock. For small operations this is alright, but if your business starts to escalate, you’ll get a lot of headache by selling out of stock products, imho.

this is what we are starting to find. We are selling 15-30 items per day now and it is driving me insane having to apologise and explain to people that the **** is out of stock. It also destroys chance of repeat custom I think.

But do you not find it takes a huge amount of time to update the stock every time it comes in and out?

How do you do it, using the automated CS-cart system or manually as u sell it?

thanks

The initial stock is set manually, but cscart deducts one stock unit for every sale, automatically. It has worked well so far.

There are some issues with products remaining in customers carts until you update the order status, but that is a normal - and desirable - behavior. I don’t know if it’s the ideal for your situation (because I don’t know much about it), but you can experiment a bit with it and decide what you want to stick to later.

[quote name=‘AWSOM50’]It also destroys chance of repeat custom I think.

[/QUOTE]

It’s always better to assume a negative customer behavior just in case. I wouldn’t come back to a place where my business gets complicated.

[quote name=‘AWSOM50’]

But do you not find it takes a huge amount of time to update the stock every time it comes in and out?

[/QUOTE]

It does take time, we have a big operation and sometimes there are two persons doing only that. The time spent doing it will be worth your while if you have the right focus and if that’s your priority.

ILLUSION – thank you for the advise. We are giong to do a stock check and try doing it all live. Does anyone else have any input?

ALSO, how do you guys do the admin side of things? I have always pasted things manually into an excel spreadsheet then worked from there. Does anyone work directly from the CS cart admin?

Thanks

I have always used a .csv to update my stock daily. I would hate having to apologize to a customer if my store said an item was in stock, and it really wasn’t.

It depends on how many products you sell. I sell a couple thousand, so updated stock count is critical.

Except from the initial migration from our last cart software, we do the stock from the admin. Once you have entered the initial values and let cs-cart deduct the stock as it gets sold, there’s no reason for csv files unless for backup reasons (that’s our opinion, of course). When we get in more supply from products we already have entered, it’s only a matter of updating the numbers.

It is very time consuming, of course, but all those descriptions and product options are sometimes stored in different tables in the database anyway, so entering the info manually is - for us - the best solution. For the scale of our business, it works fine. We are not even close to an operation like amazon.com :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote name=‘illusion’]I think it’s a good idea to sell only what you have in stock, unless your providers are very prompt at sending you the goods you’re stating you have on stock.[/QUOTE]

I haven’t looked closer into it, but I know that other carts (not x-cart) allow the admin to have “available in remote stock” and the number of days it takes to get it shipped (which is usually longer than usual). In that way you can sell products you don’t have on your warehouse - the customers will know it and will decide if they are willing to wait for a longer period to get it. I don’t think cs-cart supports it, but I could be mistaken.

However I had a very bad experience with this as I bought a printer and after 4 months of waiting and many emails sent to the shop, ordered another brand over the phone. I was raged and got the worst printer I’ve ever had instead for the Canon I had ordered. I didn’t even bother to return it, so upset I became with that store.