Live Help [Beta] in Add ons..does it work ?

I just spotted Live Help in my add ons ( Version 3.0.6 ).

I know that support has been discontinued but for a guy

like me it would be easier to simply Install this one.

So…is it a working model ?

I found a thread about it with this update.

UPD: [color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]The add-on is now available at [/font][/color]GitHub[color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif] under MIT and LGPL[/font][/color]

I went there and 'confusing' is an understatement.

I only started testing the CS-Cart Live Help addon a couple of weeks before they announced it was being discontinued, to be honest for a single user it is adequate enough as it is even with some of its little quirks.

Install the addon on your site, then download the desktop client below to complete the setup. Note the Live Help desktop application is a single executable program and can be executed from any means - hard drive, USB memory stick, etc.

Windows: http://imac.simtechd…lh3-windows.zip

Mac: http://imac.simtechd…lp3/lh3-mac.zip

Linux: http://imac.simtechd…3/lh3-linux.zip

Thanks again Stellar.

Have downloaded client in place and installed via admin > add ons

but no show in show…lol

I have always contended that an instruction set that computer dunces

can follow will make someone richer than Gates.

Oh well.

Almost there ( I think ).

Anyone have any ideas on how to populate these fields ( in attachment ).

Maybe I have been unlucky but the 'manual' is a little jokey.

It's like a manual on how the build a spaceship yet only

having a drawing of the ship with 2 arrows.

1. Body of ship
  2. Propellent.

It presupposes certain knowledge which is absent in

over 80% of all humans. With our PC's we just push a button

and hope for a glitch free day. We are computer language dumb,

not particularly proud of it but still needing a venue for our products.

We are so busy doing everything because we can't afford to have

others do it for us. What we do well is read ( because we have

to do it a lot ) and really wouldn't mind a few examples and

intermediate steps.

Any chance of a CS-Cart for Dummies manual ?

livehelp.jpg

Authentication is log ins I guess but the server path is messing with me.

1. Body of ship
  2. Propellent.

In your CS-Cart admin, ensure Live Help is enabled.

Then in the admin menu, click Live Help > Operators. Add an operator - including username, email and password.

Then you simply add the Live Help block wherever you want it to appear, then use the aforementioned login details for the desktop client by opening the live help client program, go to View>Settings>Connections. Add Connection. Enter the details which match the Operators.

[quote name='termalert' timestamp='1369982077' post='162778']

1. Body of ship
  2. Propellent.

It presupposes certain knowledge which is absent in

over 80% of all humans. With our PC's we just push a button

and hope for a glitch free day. We are computer language dumb,

not particularly proud of it but still needing a venue for our products.

We are so busy doing everything because we can't afford to have

others do it for us. What we do well is read ( because we have

to do it a lot ) and really wouldn't mind a few examples and

intermediate steps.

[/quote]

Termalert, I'm still laughing at your spaceship analogy, yet it rings so true that it almost makes me want to cry with frustration.

I have banged this drum a number of times on this forum. I'm not quite sure what it is with tech people. Perhaps they find a lot of this stuff so simple that of COURSE everyone else should be able to follow them when they start in with their jargoney mumbo jumbo.

I feel that it's axiomatic in education that it's better to over-explain than under-explain. If you do the former, the user always has the option to skim the parts he already knows. But if it's the latter, the user is left having to read the “explanation” over and over and over before winding up frustrated.

So here's my advice to the good people at CSC and all the tech contributors here. When you explain something, break it down as if you were trying to teach a bright 10 year old. Don't worry, we won't be offended. We know that we're smart people, it's just that our intelligence lays in other areas besides tech. We're just hungry for knowledge and want to learn.

While I'm on the soapbox, have you ever checked out CSC's so called “you tube channel”? Dear Lord there are I think a total of 3 videos there! What a crime to have such an amazing venue to educate your users and not take advantage of it! The help desk probably gets 100 requests for assistance every day. No doubt that many of these tickets are for the same exact issue and the tech person has to take the time writing out the same exact explanation. If they could just take that time and put it toward recording a quick video where 1,000's of people could potentially use that knowledge it would be the ultimate win-win. Yet, the status quo continues.

One last example… I purchased an add-on from an after market CSC vendor recently. The installation instructions were so vague that it took six emails back and forth (a dozen in all) before I finally “got it”. The actual installation would have taken someone who knows what they're doing a total of 3 minutes to perform, so that's exactly how long it would have taken to tape a video demonstrating the procedure. What an unnecessary shame.