"List Price" Questions

I have been displaying the list price to allow the discount to be shown, but I am having some problems, and I am not sure if it is the way I have things setup, or if it is a limitation of the software.

Example:

Product without options displays a list price of $100 and sale price of $90 (10% discount). Now you add an option with a price variation, and it negatively affects the discount percentage. In other words, it makes the overall item seem more expensive which seems like a decrease in the discount from list. Shouldn’t it just calculate the discount based on the base price and not the options? Or, allow users to increase the list price for each option that is added.

Then again, I could be doing it all the wrong way.

Also, is there an option to disable the display of the discount or do you just have to delete all of the list pricing? If I can’t get this to work the way I described it above, I would like to be keep the list prices in the store, but not display them (template edit?).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There should be the ability to specify a list price for each option so that the discount from list could be calculated correctly. You might want to enter this as a feature request in the Bug Tracker.

You can remove the discount label from the product detail page by changing the bit in red from ‘true’ to ‘false’ in /skins/basic/YOURSKIN/views/products/view.tpl:

{include file="blocks/list_templates/simple_list.tpl" product=$product show_sku=true show_rating=true show_old_price=true show_price=true show_list_discount=true show_clean_price=true details_page=true [B][COLOR="Red"]show_discount_label=true[/COLOR][/B] show_product_amount=true show_product_options=true hide_form=$smarty.capture.val_hide_form show_qty=true min_qty=true show_edp=true show_add_to_cart=true show_list_buttons=true but_role="action" capture_buttons=$smarty.capture.val_capture_buttons capture_product_options=$smarty.capture.val_capture_options_vs_qty}

You will also need ot adjust your category list templates. For instance, in /skins/YOURSKIN/customer/views/categories/custom_templates/products.tpl, change ‘true’ to ‘false’:

show_discount_label=true

You will need to check and adjust all your category list templates.

Bob

I entered this into the bug tracker over a month ago and still nothing… How long does this usually take?

[quote name=‘Jman423’]I entered this into the bug tracker over a month ago and still nothing… How long does this usually take?[/QUOTE]

There is no telling - some items are addressed quickly, others not. There are still outstanding bug reports from last year.

Bob

CSCart basically put the bug tracker together to appease customers instead of using it as a real tool to fix anything. Sadly you’re more likely to see new features added to the cart than old ones fixed.

[quote name=‘Dave the Slave’]CSCart basically put the bug tracker together to appease customers instead of using it as a real tool to fix anything. Sadly you’re more likely to see new features added to the cart than old ones fixed.[/QUOTE]

I see a lot of bugs fixed so I am not sure why you say that. I have reported about 30 bugs starting last July - about 27 of them have been fixed. I also see numerous bugs awaiting additional info from the reporter. There are about 15 bugs reported that have not been acknowledged which should be addressed.

If you want to increase the likelihood of a quick fix for a bug:

1. Provide a clear explanation of the problem (saying “X does not work” is not very helpful)
  2. Include the exact steps to replicate the issue (if possible)
  3. Check to see if the problem can be replicated at the demo site and report when it can (this helps to eliminate the possibility of server/environment issues)

It is also important that people distinguish between something not working as the developers designed it (a bug) versus something not working the way you think it should. If the latter is the case, then you need to also provide a compelling argument why their design is flawed.

Once all the feature requests are moved to the UserVoice system it will become extraordinarily clear if bugs are left unattended.

Bob

I visit these forums maybe once a week, two if I am bored, so if they are fixing a boatload of stuff, cool!

[url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/vbugs.php?do=view&vbug_id=951[/url]

[url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/vbugs.php?do=view&vbug_id=952[/url]

[url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/vbugs.php?do=view&vbug_id=1176[/url]

Those are just a few of the ones I posted in. Not interested in having a debate about how productive the CS team is on fixing stuff as opposed to adding new features so I did not go through the other 300 (we must be looking at different bug trackers) or so not yet fixed.

Thanks for the 3 suggestions but I am well versed in posting issues.

[quote name=‘Dave the Slave’]I visit these forums maybe once a week, two if I am bored, so if they are fixing a boatload of stuff, cool!

[url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/vbugs.php?do=view&vbug_id=951[/url]

[url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/vbugs.php?do=view&vbug_id=952[/url]

[url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/vbugs.php?do=view&vbug_id=1176[/url]

Those are just a few of the ones I posted in. Not interested in having a debate about how productive the CS team is on fixing stuff as opposed to adding new features so I did not go through the other 300 (we must be looking at different bug trackers) or so not yet fixed.

Thanks for the 3 suggestions but I am well versed in posting issues.[/QUOTE]

You do realize that all three examples you posted were of “Feature Requests” rather than actual Bugs…

[quote name=‘Dave the Slave’]Thanks for the 3 suggestions but I am well versed in posting issues.[/QUOTE]

I know you are but many do a poor job of bug reporting - poor bug reports means more time (and wasted effort) on the part of the developers to provide a fix.

As Struck pointed out, all three of the links you posted were created as feature requests, not bugs. Let’s face it, 1 was just a thread to vent and all four of the items originally suggested in that thread have been addressed, if not perfected. When I submitted the other two items, I had no expectation that they would be addressed quickly because they were feature requests.

The developers would be smart to pick some of the low-hanging fruit when they can. There are a number of small usability improvements that would require very little effort to implement; if I were running the show, I would probably take the week needed to address these since they would greatly improve the cart, especially for new users. I posted this just the other day:

[url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/showpost.php?p=78802&postcount=2[/url]

However, all these are feature requests and not actual bugs so some might rightfully complain and others are looking for the glitzy big new features.

There will always be room for improvement but I think separating feature requests from bug reports will benefit us since there will be enhanced visibility to any lack of progress on reported bugs which should be a priority over feature requests.

Bob

You can vote for feature in the Ideas forum:

[url]http://cscart.uservoice.com/forums/40782-general/suggestions/701476-add-list-price-to-options-variants[/url]

Bob

[quote name=‘Jman423’]I have been displaying the list price to allow the discount to be shown, but I am having some problems, and I am not sure if it is the way I have things setup, or if it is a limitation of the software.

Example:

Product without options displays a list price of $100 and sale price of $90 (10% discount). Now you add an option with a price variation, and it negatively affects the discount percentage. In other words, it makes the overall item seem more expensive which seems like a decrease in the discount from list. Shouldn’t it just calculate the discount based on the base price and not the options? Or, allow users to increase the list price for each option that is added.

Then again, I could be doing it all the wrong way.

Also, is there an option to disable the display of the discount or do you just have to delete all of the list pricing? If I can’t get this to work the way I described it above, I would like to be keep the list prices in the store, but not display them (template edit?).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

I have the same problem as you do. The “List price” should be the based/fixed price of the product in my mind (like an RRP), it shouldn’t be affected by the options. the only thing to be changed is the “You save” section.

If I stick with their way of calculation, I wouldn’t use these options/variant. I have to do the same product listing several times with very little difference on option in order to keep the same listing price.

Now I have to amend the coding behide to make it to work my way, so that the list price stay the same and properly calculate the discount on the You Save section.

js\exceptions.js in line 150, put it in comment and it will work my way

if (modifiers[i].substring(0, 1) == ‘A’) {

original_price += parseFloat(jQuery.formatPrice(modifiers[i].substring(1, modifiers[i].length-1), decplaces));

/list_pr += parseFloat(jQuery.formatPrice(modifiers[i].substring(1, modifiers[i].length-1), decplaces));/

}

I don’t know whether this line of code is necessary, after putting it in comment everything works as I wish them to.

CS Cart should really think of a smarter way of doing it.

[quote name=‘sasaki’]I have the same problem as you do. The “List price” should be the based/fixed price of the product in my mind (like an RRP), it shouldn’t be affected by the options. the only thing to be changed is the “You save” section.

If I stick with their way of calculation, I wouldn’t use these options/variant. I have to do the same product listing several times with very little difference on option in order to keep the same listing price.

Now I have to amend the coding behide to make it to work my way, so that the list price stay the same and properly calculate the discount on the You Save section.

js\exceptions.js in line 150, put it in comment and it will work my way

if (modifiers[i].substring(0, 1) == ‘A’) {

original_price += parseFloat(jQuery.formatPrice(modifiers[i].substring(1, modifiers[i].length-1), decplaces));

/list_pr += parseFloat(jQuery.formatPrice(modifiers[i].substring(1, modifiers[i].length-1), decplaces));/

}

I don’t know whether this line of code is necessary, after putting it in comment everything works as I wish them to.

CS Cart should really think of a smarter way of doing it.[/QUOTE]

The problem is that they don’t seem to be doing much of anything. It’s too long since the last release, and most of the feature requests sit in a fancy voting system and don’t do a damn thing. I am really thinking of switching to an alternative storefront at this point in time, because I am not going to renew my license/access with this company and get no support…

While switching carts can be psychologically satisfactory, in business sense it might be a bad decision. A new cart engine does not hold a promise of a better support, it might have its own downsides that cs-cart does not introduce. In life there is no perfection, one can only choose their own poison.

Unfortunately, most other carts have less features. It would be nice if they took care of issues with this cart though. All they really care about is new sales. Once you’ve bought it, there’s no incentive for them to fix any issues. The biggest thing that helps sell more carts is more features, so that’s what they do.

It wouldn’t take a developer more than 1 full time week to fix most of the problems. Especially if they built it. Unless they’re just a bad developer. I wonder, is CSC run by the developers, or are they just given salary while it’s run by business people.

For a cart to be really supported, it needs to be run by the programmer, and the programmer needs a partner to give a hand with business affairs. The developer is really the heart of any application.

Oh, and I need this list price thing fixed as well. If the product is 20% off the list price and you want it to show 20% off when you select an option as well, then the list price needs its own modifier on the product option page.

[quote name=‘Jman423’]The problem is that they don’t seem to be doing much of anything. It’s too long since the last release, and most of the feature requests sit in a fancy voting system and don’t do a damn thing. I am really thinking of switching to an alternative storefront at this point in time, because I am not going to renew my license/access with this company and get no support…[/QUOTE]

I have reported to the bug tracker, but they don’t admit it’s a bug.

[url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/vbugs.php?do=view&vbug_id=1966[/url]

"Please let me explain. The point is that option modifiers change any price, list and base. They were designed in such way. "

Luckily I’m a programmer, but I don’t expect to fix their bugs which has extended my development time looking at their internal codes. Should I be paid for this sort of contribution?

I totally agree with you, the annual licence renewal is so expensive with no support. It will make existing clients turn to something else.

ANNUAL LICENCE FEE!!!

what?

I should be more clear about this, is the upgrade fee.

The licence is still valid after a year or so if you don’t pay for the upgrade fee as it’s a lifetime licence, but you won’t get any software upgrade available in your account.

If you are a developer and have a shop build up and designed to work in a certain way, then you may not need this upgrade.

If you really care about the cart features and bug fixing, then you have to rely on their software upgrade and have to pay for the upgrade every year. So this sounds like an annual renewal of the licence.

omg, again. it hasn’t been fixed in v2.1.0

go to core\fn.catalog.php

3909 if (!empty($product['list_price'])) {
3910 //$product['list_price'] = fn_apply_options_modifiers($selected_options, $product['list_price'], 'P');
3911 }

put 3910 in comment