Limiting Categories For Vendors

sunil0907, thank you for details.

Yes, I understand the case you described. But manually configuring categories for each vendor is not a good idea either.

What if you have 1000 or 10000 vendors? Changing categories through vendor plan would be much easier.

Besides it's just one of the cases.

The main logic here - restrictions and commissions are done via Vendor Plans. It makes this feature clear and understandable.

Spreading it to Vendor profile is not a good idea.

Hello imac,

In your demo, you have 5 plans and "all categories" are in each plan. So all vendors see all categories.

For me UNIVERS = OFFICE or WATCHES or ELECTRONICS or BABY...

I think your agree that if you have 40 plans on this companies.vendor_plans page (8univers x 5vendorsplan = 40 plans), it will no longer be understandable to attract sellers...

But I agree with your argument "Changing categories through vendor plan would be much easier."

So to respect your logic and be understandable, WHEN will you propose on companies.vendor_plans page, to start by selecting an UNIVERS (Baby, Computers, Electronics) to after present and choose between Plan's categories ?

Thank you.

Hello imac,

In your demo, you have 5 plans and "all categories" are in each plan. So all vendors see all categories.

For me UNIVERS = OFFICE or WATCHES or ELECTRONICS or BABY...

I think your agree that if you have 40 plans on this companies.vendor_plans page (8univers x 5vendorsplan = 40 plans), it will no longer be understandable to attract sellers...

But I agree with your argument "Changing categories through vendor plan would be much easier."

So to respect your logic and be understandable, WHEN will you propose on companies.vendor_plans page, to start by selecting an UNIVERS (Baby, Computers, Electronics) to after present and choose between Plan's categories ?

Thank you.

Hi,

You can use the Hidden plans. In case the plan is hidden Vendor can no subscribe for it. But during review you can assign this plan to a vendor.

e.g. here is the list of plans I have in the backend: https://www.evernote.com/l/AQGke5ZubVpOIL_JcYcAEmJbkR_x0NcQk-4

Here is what vendor see in admin area: https://www.evernote.com/l/AQGqGPqCiktGc6vM6Ew9pxKjYTvUahtgYQk

Hello Imac,

So you propose :

1/ to show 2 or 3 MASTER PLAN, with a simple and attract offer.

2/ to check and call the vendor to know which categories he wants, and to assign him a hidden SUB-Masterplan-categories. ok why not !

Where is option which say : "Add subcategorie automatically" or "Not add subcategories" in each plan?

Because without it i have to select manually 100 subcategories ? Ok we can do it one time.. per plan.

BUT if i create a new subcategorie after setting plan... I have to add manually this new subcategorie in each plan ?

Thank you for your advices.

Is there a way to limit how many categories a vendor can assign one product to?

The problem I have is that Vendor's feel the more categories their product applies to the more it will be seen. So they apply the same product to categories they don't belong in. This makes the categories messy and without the right products it's confusing.

If we could allow Vendors to assign a product to a maximum of 2 categories it will make them take the time to ensure the products are in the right category.

Does that make sense?

Is there a way to limit how many categories a vendor can assign one product to?

The problem I have is that Vendor's feel the more categories their product applies to the more it will be seen. So they apply the same product to categories they don't belong in. This makes the categories messy and without the right products it's confusing.

If we could allow Vendors to assign a product to a maximum of 2 categories it will make them take the time to ensure the products are in the right category.

Does that make sense?

This is a basic option for any Marketplace software that is bizarrely absent from cs-cart

This isn't a big ticket development item. Our biggest competitor (Etsy) forces sellers to assign a product to one category. The fact that sellers in our marketplace can blast one product into every category seems like a quick way to have an awful marketplace with mis-categorized products.

I like the idea of giving vendors the ability to pick 2-3 categories per product...but our marketplace has 63 categories. They shouldn't be able to apply a product to all of them.

I hope this gets resolved at some point.

It can be done with a relatively inexpensive addon. But it's not part of standard cs-cart MVE.

This isn't a big ticket development item. Our biggest competitor (Etsy) forces sellers to assign a product to one category. The fact that sellers in our marketplace can blast one product into every category seems like a quick way to have an awful marketplace with mis-categorized products.

I like the idea of giving vendors the ability to pick 2-3 categories per product...but our marketplace has 63 categories. They shouldn't be able to apply a product to all of them.

I hope this gets resolved at some point.

Totally agree above.

And the second: I have tried to restrict to post in Main categories and I had to add 450+ categories in vendor plan instead of to tick and restrict 12 main categories. I am scare to think if I will add a new category and forget to add to vendor plan.

It can be done with a relatively inexpensive addon. But it's not part of standard cs-cart MVE.

Can you enlighten me? What is the addon which will limit number of categories per product?

It would have to be written. If you would like a quote, please provide me your requirements by clicking the link in my signature.

Hello,

I'm using 4.4.2 cs-cart multi-vendor. I wanted to limit the categories available to any vendor, thus controlling the category(ies) that is open to a vendor for adding products.

Say I have three category,

1. Electronics

2. Clothing

3. Books

Then I want to limit a vendor selling books to only category 'Kohi Click Test' so that it may not add any products to electronics. Another vendor selling books and electronics will be limited to add products to 'Books' and 'Electronics' categories and will not be able to add products to 'Clothing'

I personally feel this requirement should be a default functionality in cs-cart multi-vendor. Is there are add available for this.

In the new version it can be done through vendor plans, but that is not very useful purity test as along with with limiting categories we have to provide details of commission, and other restrictions also, which will lead to creating a large number of vendor plans if you have many categories.

Members suggestions please .

Thanks,

Sunil

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. Thanks...
1 Like

Can you enlighten me? What is the addon which will limit number of categories per product?

We have sent you the PM.

Best regards,

Alt-team.

Our team is also at your service

Currently, we still need an option when registering for suppliers to choose the categories they will sell in

You can limit pool of available categories for vendors via Vendor plans:
https://docs.cs-cart.com/latest/user_guide/users/vendors/manage_vendor_plans.html

Also you can check this one add-on: