Landing page

tbirnseth, I know cache is there for a reason, to improve the site search ,navegation, etc.

However I have been having cache issues.

According to my host I was using 100% CPU because there’s a php file that spends hours searching for the items dates :confused: in fact I saw the memory use peaks in the graphics, really high, scaring.

Once the cache was cleared, the use of RAM lowered in 800-900MB and the CPU use was not longer 100%.

Having a cron set to delete cache every hour is just a desperate not-permanent solution for this problem I have.

Have you any idea what php file may be causing this? what file has the function of detecting the item’s date? In my case it’s more than 20 000 items.

I look forward to your reply, this is a serious matter. BTW, I use a VPS.

What version are you running? There were major cache changes in 2.1.x. Major bugs in 2.1.0 and fixes to non-file cache issues in 2.1.3…

So your best bet is to be on 2.1.3. Depending on what you use in product filters and features, you might get by with the backend_cache set to ‘file’. But I would recommend ‘sqlite’ if it does not cause you other issues.

If you find issues as you describe, I would suggest documenting your problem in the bugtracker. There should be no reason to EVER have to manually clear the cache. The system will clear it when blocks are updated, when addons are installed/uninstalled and at other key times. If you add hooks then you should clear the cache as well. But outside of that, the cache should be an improvement, not a liability.

“T”

She stated 2.0.14 about a half dozen times, which basically explains everything related to the cache issues as well as the lack of landing page related features, right?

Mirnitagl,

You really need to consider upgrading to 2.1.3 & use the built-in sqlite cache method (& also have the ability to use the newer landing page feature), basically you will be continually beating your head on the desk with 2.0.14! :wink:

yes, you are both correct. I am using 2.0.14 and it’s giving me a headache.

The problem is I already paid a coder to upgrade my cart from 1.3.5 sp4 to what was at that time the latest version: 2.0.14, that also meant paying for re-writing an update script for my catalog which uses the dropshipping method and loads all poducts from my supplier’s csv.

I’m sorry, this is going to sound really rude to cs-cart team but…how many times do I have to pay a coder to have a cart functiong as it should? how many versions will it require?

All I can do right now is put a patch here, fill a hole there and try to keep my cart afloat.

I can not continue spending money and money with every new version, it is crazy.

I apologize for so much bitterness, it is not a good day for me. Thank you all those who try to help, it is always comforting to have support and God knows this forum is very supportive.

You can add a landing page of your preference with (ugh… Some custom coding). I would strongly suggest disabling the “reorder this order again” button. It is highly confusing to most customers.

You could purchase our checkout failure addon:

[url]http://www.ez-ms.com/addonproducts/chekcout-failure.html[/url]

Documentation is in the Attachments tab.

The addon will notify your customers when there is a decline or failure with their payment and give them the opportunity to correct the info and submit it again without creating a new order. This is a bit of the inverse of what you want, but it might suit your needs.

2.0.14 is not a bad release. There are extensions you can apply to improve the caching by adding sqlite caching. I currently run 2.0.15. I don’t really need any of the new features and it chugs along just fine. I will upgrade to 2.1.x but won’t do so until they add back the mini-cart they took away.

Good luck.

I would recommend 2.0.15 over 2.0.14 since the overwriting of order data was fixed in that release. Otherwise, if you update a product, it will update in your completed orders (prices, options, etc.)…

tbirnseth, yes, i have disabled the "reorder " option and as i told you before in this thread i did add a landing page with some coding.

In core/fn.cart.php on or about line 2119 , I changed

Code:

fn_redirect($prefix . INDEX_SCRIPT . "?dispatch=orders.details&order_id=$order_id&confirmation=Y", true);

for this:

fn_redirect($prefix . INDEX_SCRIPT . "?dispatch=pages.view&page_id=20);

Could this change be causing my cache problems? I do not see why but I just ask in case I missed something and skipped another coding change in some other file.

Is this change in code correct? is it enough for creating the landing page?

In page 20 is where I have the order confirmation , that is, the landing page.

In any case, this change does not explain the cache issues I am having. According to my host, there’s a php file that searches for my orders’ date and consumues 100% CPU. What script must be that? how can I stop that dat scanning process?

Thank you all in advance! :wink:

Sorry, I can’t re-read a whole thread to get all the previous details…

Your change looks okay. However, bypassing the orders.details page willl prevent you from having Google Analytics work and if you have any custom confirmation scripts (like Google conversion) installed in the confirmation hook, they will no longer be called.

Your changes should have nothing to do with your cache issue.

I recommend the sqlite registry cache patch that is posted elsewhere on the forum. It would be nice if there was an offical patches section from cs-cart, but it’s embedded in some other thread.

tbirnseth, thank you for always being there. And it is true, you didn’t have to read all the above post, it’s fine, i just wanted you to know I had made the proper changes to the code in order to have my so-wanted landing page.

I do not care much for google analytics , though I understand this landing page ,they way it is made, is not the best solution.

As for cache, I will look for the patch you talk about . I totally agree, cs-cart should have a section for this kind of patches.

Hello Mirnitagl,

This is the post you will need, see the very first post from Zeke:

[url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/showthread.php?t=16905&highlight=zeke+cache[/url]

Hope this helps for the time being at least! :wink:

Do note that my experience with that cache method is that you may have to clear the cache more frequently to get changes made in the admin area to be reflected. There seems to be a bug in the “write through” aspect of the cache that prevents it from seeing (for example) a new block was created or an addon’s settings were changed… But small price to pay for actual reliable data and better performance.

tbirnseth and Struck, lots of virtual kisses for both you :oops:

Thank you for being so helpful and supportive. I’ll take a look to zeke addon.

[QUOTE]Do note that my experience with that cache method is that you may have to clear the cache more frequently to get changes made in the admin area to be reflected. There seems to be a bug in the “write through” aspect of the cache that prevents it from seeing (for example) a new block was created or an addon’s settings were changed… But small price to pay for actual reliable data and better performance.[/QUOTE]

Do you have a better alternative for her “specifically for 2.0.14”, if so then you should provide it, otherwise, your post is nothing more than a bunch of mumbo jumbo with no real benefit… :wink:

I mean really, is the “Glass Always Half Empty” with you “T” ?

[quote name=‘mirnitagl’]tbirnseth and Struck, lots of virtual kisses for both you :oops:

Thank you for being so helpful and supportive. I’ll take a look to zeke addon.[/QUOTE]

You are very welcome Mirnitagl (& with lips like those I can only imagine)! :wink:

But yes, you really do need to strongly consider updating your site to 2.1.3 (as time & money permits), there have been many major improvements made since 2.0.14 several of which would specifically be of benefit to you!

Just conveying my experience. Do with it what you like. If it worked correctly then there would be no need for the warning…

oh, boys do not fight, you’re both doing a great job in this forum sharing your knowledge and willingness to help others :smiley:

I applied zeke’s addon and so far so good.

Struck, that’s my favorite lipstick colour :wink:

[quote]

Do you have a better alternative for her “specifically for 2.0.14”, if so then you should provide it, otherwise, your post is nothing more than a bunch of mumbo jumbo with no real benefit…

I mean really, is the “Glass Always Half Empty” with you “T” ?

[/quote]

My post was the recommendation to use sqlite caching in 2.0.14. However, that recommendation is not without caveats from experience and observation. What’s your experience from reviewing the sqlite caching model in the 2.0 release stream? If you don’t understand what I write, you might want to ask questions rather than considering it mumbo-jumbo.

I don’t create the quality of this product, I only report what I find and try to give people a technical description. I include more info than necessary with the hope of educating people on how something works or the cause of the issue (I.e. why).

So no, my glass isn’t always half empty. But note that a forum is normally a place where people come to report problems. We try to help them solve the problems. Hence, in doing so, many times it is required to explain “why” or what’s wrong to cause it.

[QUOTE]What’s your experience from reviewing the sqlite caching model in the 2.0 release stream?[/QUOTE]

Same as most everyone elses experience when running the antiquated 2.0.14 version in a real world business scenario, in that it was a major improvement over anything currently available at that time…

Not sure how good your memory is, however, I have no problem remembering the 2.0.14 days when there were 10 posts per day in reference to “continually having to manually clear the cache to keep my site functioning, etc. etc”

She needed an alternative fix until having the ability to upgrade to a later version, which is why I simply asked “Do you have a better solution for her?”, so the answer must be no! :wink:

[QUOTE]I applied zeke’s addon and so far so good.[/QUOTE]

Well, that was fast, hopefully it keeps you in operation until you are ready to upgrade!

[QUOTE]Struck, that’s my favorite lipstick colour :wink: [/QUOTE]

Just keep on doin it, hopefully fingernails & toenails all match with the lipstick color! :o

The addon has been a great patch for my issue, repeated orders have stopped, pages loading forever have stopped. The bad news is I have to set a cron for deleting cache every hour, that can’t be good.

Anyway, just want to say everyone having the same problem I had and luckily finding this thread: zeke’s addon works! :smiley:

I want to abuse of your generosity a bit longer :evil: :slight_smile: I have a minor problem and do not knwo why. When I edit an order I get a 404 error “page not found” in the final step. yet the orders get edited just as I want…

This is new, I used to edit orders and the final step was to either save or pay and it used to wok fine, it directed me to the correct edited order page.

May this have something to do with the landing page change i made?

The code I changed is in a few posts below. Please, thow some light over this.

Struck, I love red wine color in lips, nails and cars. I also love red wine, if it is Spanish even better :wink: