Ive had my wrists slapped

i have set up a site for a specific branded sports products that we shift. The company who we distribute for have been on and said we cant use the name as it is too close to theirs. We sell approx 100k per year (£) of their products so you wouldnt think they would be bothered too much but anyways we have agreed to change but I am concerned about all the 301 stuff. I have another address that I am gonna use but can anyone give me some advice whats the best way to forward it all in 1 go and not get penalised, we currently come 1st page everytime someone searches for the brand name items.

Thanks

John

301's (permanent redirects) are handled correctly by the search engines so there should be no loss of ranking based on the redirect. I'm assuming you just want to redirect the domain and not each product. I.e. mydomain.commydomain2.com versus mydomain.com/my-product.htmlmydomain2.com is for sale | HugeDomains.

Working .htaccess 301 redirect code:

```php DirectoryIndex index.html index.php

RewriteEngine on

RewriteBase /

SEO Category Rewrite

RewriteRule ^their-brand-name.html /the-changed-brand-name.html [R=301,L]

#! SEO Category Rewrite

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !.(png|gif|ico|swf|jpe?g|js|css)$

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d

RewriteRule . index.php?sef_rewrite=1 [L,QSA]

```

[quote name='tbirnseth' timestamp='1312339555' post='118735']

301's (permanent redirects) are handled correctly by the search engines so there should be no loss of ranking based on the redirect. I'm assuming you just want to redirect the domain and not each product. I.e. mydomain.commydomain2.com versus mydomain.com/my-product.htmlmydomain2.com is for sale | HugeDomains.

[/quote]

Thanks Tony,yes I will be keeping all same products etc but the site will just be changing from 1 name to another.

T

[quote name='JesseLeeStringer' timestamp='1312358101' post='118746']

Working .htaccess 301 redirect code:

```php DirectoryIndex index.html index.php

RewriteEngine on

RewriteBase /

SEO Category Rewrite

RewriteRule ^their-brand-name.html /the-changed-brand-name.html [R=301,L]

#! SEO Category Rewrite

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !.(png|gif|ico|swf|jpe?g|js|css)$

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d

RewriteRule . index.php?sef_rewrite=1 [L,QSA]

```

[/quote]

Great Thanks Jesse

John

Sorry to hijack your thread Johnbol1 but im looking for a similar thing however I have just gone from site1.domain.com/category to www.domain.com/category.

Is there a .htacess rule I can setup for this redirect?

Thank you