Isnt the check out sequence ordered wrong?

The cart checkout sequence is cart->customer info->order details->summary.

Why is customer info step 2? Its not important for the customer to see that. But order details, which has the actual cost of everything, shipping, thats step 3.

Isnt customer info the last thing of interest for the customer? Doesnt the customer want to know the full price of her purchase before she has to input lines and lines of private info?

Shouldn’t be hard to change the order, any tried it?

And for that matter, why not have order details in the cart as well? Why not skip an entire step and get that customer to buy the stuff quicker before he changes his mind? Doesnt the customer always want to know the total price and wouldn’t she just get annoyed by having to flip back and forth two pages to get the true price she has to pay?

All this shipping, extra costs, bla bla, is the hardest and most daunting thing for the customer to think about, isnt it better just telling her straight up rather than hide it on the 3rd step and hope she hasnt already given up trying to find what everything will cost her?

This could be a good idea- I’d definitely go along with the idea of making the checkout procses shorter – your conversion rates can generally increase dramatically the shorter the checkout process is.

The only problem I’d see with the order you suggested is that for shipping to be calculated, you probably need to know where exactly the customer is from… but I do think you might be able to combine the last two very easily… why have separate pages for shipping method and entering CC info? Why not just have it handled by JavaScript/Ajax

Its just a country select thats needed, you dont need their name and street which is the annoying part to fill in. And if theyre already logged in, then no excuse at all.

Actually, in the US anyway, you need the postal code (zip code) to accurately calculate shipping charges. Country alone won’t do it.

My preference is to have the option of adding shipping charges by filling in postal code while still in the cart, before proceeding to checkout. If European shipping is by country, then it that is the field that should be made available in the cart to calculate shipping.

If the cart calculates shipping then you really only have 2 more necessary steps which could in fact be on one form. Step 1 is customer billing and shipping address info, step 2 is the payment info. There really isn’t a reason to separate these unless you want them to confirm all details of the order are correct before providing their credit card number.

The last step is actually the confirmation page.

The other related issue is that when someone pays by PayPal, they should only need to provide shipping info before being sent to PayPal to collect payment. People choose this option at least partly because they don’t want their sensitive info in the merchant’s hands, and forcing them to fill in more than absolutely necessary is a real turnoff to PayPal customers.

I hope modifying this process is relatively easy as I don’t like how it’s done by default.

[quote name=‘arlen’]My preference is to have the option of adding shipping charges by filling in postal code while still in the cart, before proceeding to checkout. If European shipping is by country, then it that is the field that should be made available in the cart to calculate shipping.[/QUOTE]

I second this.

Folks want know what the shipping changes are BEFORE then go to the hassle of creating at account etc. Why create the account if the final cost is too much.

[quote name=‘mclamais’]Folks want know what the shipping changes are BEFORE then go to the hassle of creating at account etc. Why create the account if the final cost is too much.[/QUOTE]I’m with you. When I shop online, I want to know the shipping before I give any information. If I have to give out my information first, I just abandon the cart and shop somewhere else.

Here is an article about why people abandon shopping carts:

[url]http://visibility.tv/tips/shopping_cart_abandonment.html[/url]

I agree - this has always bothered me a bit, I wish the checkout process were a bit easier to modify as such.

I’m trying to get to the point I can look at modifying the checkout sequence though I’m not all that proficient w/ php yet.

Has anyone experimented with this yet? Is the sequence set in stone, or is it readily modifiable?

Hi arlen

The checkout sequence is fine, all that is needed is for the customer to be able to see the total cost including shipping in the minicart.

[quote name=‘zardos’]Hi arlen

The checkout sequence is fine, all that is needed is for the customer to be able to see the total cost including shipping in the minicart.[/QUOTE]I think the minicart will solve the checkout sequence problem just fine. BTW, I hope to have my part of the minicart done today.

Well, I’d agree w/ one other possible exception.

Assuming you all get the add shipping ocsts in the cart working, the other thing I think is missing is applying coupons to your order in the cart or before supplying personal info. I haven’t followed the mini-cart threads close enough, is that being discussed?

I’ll take a read through the mini-cart threads, I’ve been focused on learning smarty and figuring out how to mod templates.

One other thing that might be related is the concept of one page orders … i.e. landing pages for PPC campaigns. I’ve not gotten very refined in my PPC advertising, but I’ve seen some at least that take you directly to a secure page where you can order the product right there.

Just throwin’ that out as food for thought. It’s not high on my priority list, but I know some other carts offer a similar function.

[quote name=‘arlen’]One other thing that might be related is the concept of one page orders … i.e. landing pages for PPC campaigns. I’ve not gotten very refined in my PPC advertising, but I’ve seen some at least that take you directly to a secure page where you can order the product right there.

Just throwin’ that out as food for thought. It’s not high on my priority list, but I know some other carts offer a similar function.[/QUOTE]Kinda like a “Buy it Now” button.

Yeah, that’s the general idea (has that been discussed already?). Though a “Buy it Now” button could potentially be used on any page of your site, it could also be incorporated here.

I’ve seen 2 types. One where the landing page itself is secure, and includes all forms necessary to complete the order, and the other a non-secure page w/ a “Buy it Now” button that takes you to the order page.

The general concept is to shorten the distance between the search engine and collecting payment. So if you know there is a strong market for “Super Deluxe Blue Speckled Widgets”, you run a PPC ad for “Super Deluxe Blue Speckled Widgets”, which leads to an isolated and dedicated page where you can order “Super Deluxe Blue Speckled Widgets” … only. This page offers no distractions and limited links out to the rest of your site. It is a dedicated landing page, and is not incorporated into your site navigation. You make your pitch and lead the customer to make a quick purchase. You might offer cross-sell items (accessories), but you wouldn’t up-sell or offer alternatives that might make them rethink their intent when they were searching. Supposedly this kind of landing page converts really well for targeted items and exact match searches.

I’m no where near at this level of sophistication w/ my advertising yet, but plan to be by end of next summer.

Don’t know if any of you listen to the web clinics at marketingexperiments.com, but if you don’t I’d highly recommend them. They thoroughly test all aspects of e-commerce, with the goal of increasing conversions and explain what they did, how they did it and what the results were. Really great info, and all for a free signup.