Is this a bug

Ok see if I can explain this, I sell aroma oils, I am setting a new shop up using the community version. So I offer different tpyes of oils and I also wanted to add different price breaks i.e 1 would cost £4.99 and 3 would cost £3.99. Doing some testing if I select 3 of one type of oil and add to cart and then click continue shopping and select 1 of another type it adds it to the cart but at the £4.99 price, when really the customer has ordered 4 oils and should get them at £3.99. Maybe I have not configured it correctly, but if someone knows the answer please let me know.

Bulk pricing works on single products only.

You might be able to finagle something with promotions, but I doubt it unless all you sell is oils. Then you could use cart quantity (usually referred to as amount in cs-cart) to adjust products. But it may not adjust how you expect since you've already discounted some and those would then be discounted further.

[quote]if I select 3 of one type of oil and add to cart and then click continue shopping and select 1 of another type it adds it to the cart but at the £4.99 price[/quote]

Right, Quantity Discounts cannot be applied at the “Category Level”, only at the individual product level.

In otherwords… “Working as Designed” :mellow:

this may help.

john

Struck - I am not trying to apply it at Category level, I’m trying to apply it to a product that obviously has various “type” … seems a bit pointless offering the quantity discount feature if you can’t apply it to the various types of a product. Also while on the subject of Categories, if I click on the products in left hand panel for categories it brings up the product without the discount options showing, you then have to ensure that you click through the product to see them, I am going to have to put a note on it here to ensure people click through, otherwise they will be thinking that the only price is the single price.

Thanks for the link John I had a quick look, have you managed to get it working, does anyone have a ready made mod for this, I saw on another post that someone called “artfull dodger” had one he was selling see here

ok John I made the changes with the mod you directed me to and although it puts a nice grid in place it still doesn't apply the discounts to the overal cart for instance if I select 2 of each type across three differnet types it won't apply the discounts to the overal six. If I go to the min breakpoint for any type it will apply the discount but only for that type not the overal basket total, I thought this mod would do it, back to the drawing board I guess.

As previously explained, the cart does not do bulk quantities on products of a certain category, it only does it on individual products.

From watching this and similar posts over the years, there are maybe 1/2 dozen people who require this functionality based on the products they sell. If there was a larger demand, then a category bulk pricing addon could be created, but without the demand, there's not enough volume to warrant the investment.

Read the post I'm not wanting a bulk discount for “category” that's not what I am saying. It's a quantity discount for a product that has different variants a fairly basic requirement and I doubt there are only half a dozen people that this could help, probably they search the forum see it isn't standard and go elsewhere, just because people don't post about it doesn't mean it isn't valid.

I have used CS cart for over 4 years on one of my shops (old paid for version) but many of my clients are wanting a free solution that they could grow with, so when Cscart came out with the free community version I thought I would give it a go over Virtuemart (my ususal free choice) I like cscart but honestly this is a basic requirement to be able to give discounts accross a number of variants of the same product. Think of the t shirt seller who wants to offer a discount if someone buys six shirts so the customers buys three white and three black … this is where it fails … they get to the cart and they wont get the discount, so explain how is that discount for a category. It's a product discount issue.

I have a similar problem. I will be selling candles. I want to sell a type of candle, mini-mason. I have 8 different scents. I want to offer a discount if a customer buys 2-4 and a different discount 5-8. If a customer orders 6 different scents, they would get the appropriate discount. I could almost do it with checkboxes, but there is no place for the SKU. Each scent of mini-mason jars has a different sku. I can't seem to do this discount if each sku was a separate product.

This looks similar to Quantex problem. I would also like to see a mod or a way to do with promotions.

Thanks,

Bob

There you go, bet there are many more, if someone is willing to write a mod maybe we could split the cost etc.

I'm guessing here so bear with me…

If your products are configured simply using options for scents, etc. then the discount should in fact be applied. The bulk discount is done by product_id and I believe the options are ignored.

If you have set it up where the variants are options that generate “option combinations”, then that actually makes them separate products (unique product_id) and the bulk discount is not applied.

I believe that is the constraint you need to work within as far as the behavior of the cart. CS-support team could confirm if they read this…

It sthe same problem that has been here since day 1.

If I sell polo shirts and 1 costs $10 each but 5 cost $7 each.

I then order 6 shirts, 3 in red and 3 in blue they cost me $10 each.

If I order just 5 red they only cost me $7 each… Crazy.

I had CS do me a mod for this which I posted a while back but is only for 2.14 I think.

see it in action here, you can add various sizes to the cart but it will add them together to give you the discount.

I think Glen modified or added to my original addon to make it compatible with newer versions.

http://www.hivis.co.uk/7200-unisex-safety-toe-cap-boot-clone.html

John

[quote name='johnbol1' timestamp='1318449598' post='123555']

It sthe same problem that has been here since day 1.

If I sell polo shirts and 1 costs $10 each but 5 cost $7 each.

I then order 6 shirts, 3 in red and 3 in blue they cost me $10 each.

If I order just 5 red they only cost me $7 each… Crazy.

I had CS do me a mod for this which I posted a while back but is only for 2.14 I think.

see it in action here, you can add various sizes to the cart but it will add them together to give you the discount.

I think Glen modified or added to my original addon to make it compatible with newer versions.

http://www.hivis.co.uk/7200-unisex-safety-toe-cap-boot-clone.html

John

[/quote]

Hi John, that looks like exactly what I need, I see you are not using the grid method posted on the other link, I did upload this but it didn't work, also even if the grid mod had of worked it wouldn't be right because it doesn#t show the various discounts it just applies them. Anyway do you have a link to the mod at all (you said you posted it a while back) do I need to pay for it? Also will it work with the community edition 2.2.1 I'm getting everything in place before I upgrade.

[quote name='tbirnseth' timestamp='1318448076' post='123552']

If your products are configured simply using options for scents, etc. then the discount should in fact be applied. The bulk discount is done by product_id and I believe the options are ignored.

If you have set it up where the variants are options that generate “option combinations”, then that actually makes them separate products (unique product_id) and the bulk discount is not applied.

I believe that is the constraint you need to work within as far as the behavior of the cart. CS-support team could confirm if they read this…

[/quote]

Ok so can you talk us through the setup of a product in this way, I can only see the one way to do it?

I thought mine was for 2.1.4 but it was for 2.1.2,

but here is a link that was modified by Glen, should do the trick but if your on the latest version and it doe not work then I cant help with that one, sorry.

John

[quote name='johnbol1' timestamp='1318509608' post='123628']

I thought mine was for 2.1.4 but it was for 2.1.2,

but here is a link that was modified by Glen, should do the trick but if your on the latest version and it doe not work then I cant help with that one, sorry.

John

[/quote]

Hi John,

Oh I already modified that file because I saw the link … it didn't change anything, the version is community 2.2.1

Can anyone offer a mod for this, willing to pay

[quote name='tbirnseth' timestamp='1318448076' post='123552']

[/quote]

Ok so I tried it both ways, global options and simple options, it makes no difference, when you get to the cart it doesn't tally them correctly, actually you have hit the nail on the head with your comment here, if you are using simple option then it shouldn't treat it as a seperate product but that's exactly what it is doing, most disappointing because everything else is perfect with cs

Pricing is one of those areas in cs-cart that is pretty much a mess (from an architectural standpoint). It is established in PHP code, template code and Javascript which all adjust pricing. So it takes a lot more work than you would think just to figure out where a price is really coming from. So to investigate and give a definitive answer would take some time. That's why I prefixed my comment with “I'm guessing here” based on an educated guess.

Only mod that could really be done would be to enable bulk_pricing at the category level versus product level. Then, a separate bulk_price table/interface could be done for all product ID's within the category. The trouble comes in with the option modifiers… But I think you stated that you didn't want it to apply to a category but wanted to somehow group products so 1 of one and 1 of another would be considered 2 from a bulk_pricing standpoint. Alternatively, the logic could be changed to handle simple options (without price modifiers) to accumulate and using the bulk_pricing table. But again, it would take a bit of time to figure out where/how to do so in a way that would not break other things.