Is there a way to define Local Customers (user groups ) during Sign up?

Hi- I need to offer local deals to local customers and charge an extra packaging fee to out of state customers. Is there a way to require customers to select local or out of state during sign up? I have tried to go back and update every customer already on the site but its taking forever. Is this something cs-cart will make available in the future? I don’t do coding so that won’t help unless its a simple fix B)

Thanks A Bunch!

AlmondJoy~

Almond,

I think you want to focus more on setting up more defined “Locations” within your store.

For example, [quote]and charge an extra packaging fee to out of state customers[/quote], for this portion you might create a “location” consisting of all states other than the state you reside in, you could then simply include the added amount of this “extra pkg fee” into the shipping cost for customers ordering within this out of state location. This is most likely a better approach than slapping them in the face with a separately defined “additional charge” and will be more apt to “fly under the radar”, you know what I mean… B)

[quote name=‘Struck’ timestamp=‘1320454500’ post=‘125352’]

Almond,

I think you want to focus more on setting up more defined “Locations” within your store.

For example, , for this portion you might create a “location” consisting of all states other than the state you reside in, you could then simply include the added amount of this “extra pkg fee” into the shipping cost for customers ordering within this out of state location. This is most likely a better approach than slapping them in the face with a separately defined “additional charge” and will be more apt to “fly under the radar”, you know what I mean… B)

[/quote]

Noooo I disagree because they (meaning the customers out of state) already know of the special packaging fee because of the nature of the product being “GLASS” they acknowledge they’re risking the shipments at their own risks. So I tried to add a “required product” to the glass products but my local customers get charged. I don’t want them to be charged because the local glass products are hand delivered.

Isn't your main objective to charge the extra amount to out of state customer orders?

If so, then by creating this new location, then adding a surcharge amount into the shipping costs for this “out of state location” you should be able to accomplish this.

How or if you choose to explain this additional shipping related charge to your customers is secondary.

[quote name='Struck' timestamp='1320519201' post='125423']

Isn't your main objective to charge the extra amount to out of state customer orders?

If so, then by creating this new location, then adding a surcharge amount into the shipping costs for this “out of state location” you should be able to accomplish this.

How or if you choose to explain this additional shipping related charge to your customers is secondary.

[/quote]

Thank you, but I only sell one product that the extra shipping is needed for. Not allll the products. Not all out of state customers will be ordering that glass product. I don't want to charge alll out of state customer a handling charge for glass if they choose plastic.