Is Ssl Required?

I am planning to host one of my existing domains with cs-cart on shared hosting as it's only for forwarding URLs to another domain. Do I need an SSL certificate just for URL forwarding?

why would you install a whole CMS platform to simply redirect URLs? Wouldn't using .htaccess rules be much more efficient? The only reason to use SSL is to keep Google happy. If you're not handling any sensitive information (credit card numbers, personal infomation, etc.) then there is no need for SSL other than Google says they will penalize those who don't use it.

Tony said absolutely right – you don't have to install CMS just for setting up 301/302 redirects. However, HTTPS not only about Google happiness. First of all, modern protocol HTTP/2 based on SSL/TLS, also SSL/TLS is required for embedding resources on another webistes (especially, if you want to have your website on Facebook, VK and so forth), and it prevents your website's clients from some ISPs, which block or/and encapsulate some part of traffic for advertisement purposes.

First of all, modern protocol HTTP/2 based on SSL/TLS, also SSL/TLS is required for embedding resources on another webistes (especially, if you want to have your website on Facebook, VK and so forth), and it prevents your website's clients from some ISPs, which block or/and encapsulate some part of traffic for advertisement purposes.

Yes, but note that if this were the case then I'd think they'd use the redirected domain rather than the domain that needs to be redirected.

Yes, but note that if this were the case then I'd think they'd use the redirected domain rather than the domain that needs to be redirected.

Totally agree with you. In this case it's absolutely unnecessary to set up SSL/TLS.