Is fixing bugs chargable

I’ve spotted a number of bugs recently in 2.0.10, but when I mention it to support, they want to charge me for investigating it, even though I have already investigated and given them screenshots of the problem.

So what is, and isn’t chargable> Anyone know?

Have you put it in the bug tracker?

Adam

[quote name=‘jegesmaci’]Have you put it in the bug tracker?

Adam[/QUOTE]

Have just visited your site.

you hav masses of white space at the bottom of the home page. :wink:

The best solution is to enter the bug in the Bug Tracker - they cannot possibly refuse to investigate the bugs reported there pending payment. The added advantage is that the whole community is made aware of any bug and has the opportunity to offer additional input which might get the bug resolved faster.

Bob

[quote name=‘BarryH’]Have just visited your site.

you hav masses of white space at the bottom of the home page. ;)[/quote]

I said it to Adam 2 weeks ago. I think, it’s something with her footer text, maybe the “registered trademark” signs, something breaks the layout such not closed tags.

I tried to look at this and I can’t see any reason there is white space. I didn’t change anything. I tried FireBug and couldn’t see why it was large white space.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Adam

[quote name=‘jegesmaci’]I tried to look at this and I can’t see any reason there is white space. I didn’t change anything. I tried FireBug and couldn’t see why it was large white space.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Adam[/quote]

As first try to remove your added text in the footer, clear cache and load the site.

So I removed the bottom information and it is still the huge white space.

I really appreciate your help. This has been driving me crazy.

Adam

[quote name=‘jegesmaci’]So I removed the bottom information and it is still the huge white space.

I really appreciate your help. This has been driving me crazy.

Adam[/quote]

Disable the site sitemap (not google sitemap)

EDITED: Change the basic skin with an other.

indy0077,

Turn off what sitemap?

What would switching the skin accomplish?

Thanks,

Adam

[quote name=‘jegesmaci’]indy0077,

Turn off what sitemap?

What would switching the skin accomplish?

Thanks,

Adam[/quote]

If you change the skin, and the bug is gone, then the bug must be in the skin css or file. If it’s still there, then you have to investigate outside of customer folder.

Your sitemap (on the site) is very long and strech the layout about 10,000px, maybe is something there.

I checked it with Firebug and IE Developer Toolbar but still no indication of a bug in the css.

Do me a favour and take this to PM please :slight_smile:

[QUOTE]Do me a favour and take this to PM please :slight_smile: [/QUOTE]

Yeah, your thread seems to have gotten a bit diluted !

So, back on track…

I agree with everything Jobosales mentioned as it makes total sense. The bug tracker is the place to enter these “bugs” because if you send the bug details as a support ticket against your personal account, then you are more or less “The Lone Ranger” and it will tend to be viewed by CS-Cart personnel as an issue related to you personally ! … Giddy Up

argentice,

Sorry about that. Just responding to the thread as it evolved.

Back on the subject, use the bug tracker.

Adam

[quote name=‘jegesmaci’]argentice,

Sorry about that. Just responding to the thread as it evolved.

Back on the subject, use the bug tracker.

Adam[/QUOTE]

Hi, jegesmaci.

I can explain why your store has this whitespace. It happens because of your really big menu. Hover your mouse on # Order of the Arrow → OA Lodges by Name →

and you will see a reeeally big menu list. My finger felt tired when I scrolled down this list. If you really want to use it, upgrade up to 2.0.9 or 2.0.10. In these versions the visibility of the menu was changed from hidden to display:none. So, the screen will broaden only when a customer hovers on this menu.

Try this:

Open dropdown.css

change

ul.dropdown ul {left:0;position:absolute;top:100%;visibility:hidden;width:100%;z-index:2;}

to

ul.dropdown ul {left:0;position:absolute;top:100%;display:none;width:100%;z-index:2;}

and

ul.dropdown li:hover > ul {visibility:visible;}

to

ul.dropdown li:hover > ul {display:inline;}

Seems to fix the problem in firefox but you will want to test all the other browsers. If okay you shouldn’t have to upgrade.

[quote name=‘argentice’]I’ve spotted a number of bugs recently in 2.0.10, but when I mention it to support, they want to charge me for investigating it, even though I have already investigated and given them screenshots of the problem.

So what is, and isn’t chargable> Anyone know?[/quote]

Fixing bugs is not chargeable but CS cart tends to define bugs as they wish not as customers with real businesses see the issue.

As an example they might agree with what you see but say that they designed it that way so it is not a bug.

They either do not understand how angry that makes customers or simply do not care…

I have been looking at the bug reports. Many are actually software bugs in that the CS-CART code is incorrect. Also the upgrade process does not work as intended and addons created by cs-cart for their use and for groups like Snorocket are broken, even though the expectation that if designed for 2.0 using hooks, they should work for each upgrade (poor/inadequate regression testing).

I see functions working in one version, broken in the next, even if the carts are not customized. These are bugs. But, I also see incompatibiliy with individual users custom code, modifications of CSS and other changes to databases and files by individuals. The incompatibilities to me are not bugs. CS-CART, should not have to test for all modifications made to all carts. In some cases the users response is that they solved the problem themselves-found their mistake.

Where do you draw the line between a software bug in which the cart is not working as designed and an incompatibility with custom code, some faulty, created by individual users, which I do not consider as bugs. This seems difficult.

I see this “bug” problem as one negative to open source carts and carts where the user has full access to the code. Not everyone is an expert.

Thanks for your opinions.

Bob

There is a thrid type of “bug” - Where functionaity existed in a previous version, but no longer exists in the current version.

I’m thinking specifically of being able to add/edit/delete discounts on an existing order. This worked fine in 1.3.5, but has not been implemented in 2.0.x yet.

If this had been advertised in the changelog as functionality removed, then fine. I could have made a decision based on this information. And new buyers could also have been informed.

But you kind of expect more features not less - especially when it’s as important as this for some businesses (Like mine!)

[quote name=‘pbannette’]I have been looking at the bug reports. Many are actually software bugs in that the CS-CART code is incorrect. Also the upgrade process does not work as intended and addons created by cs-cart for their use and for groups like Snorocket are broken, even though the expectation that if designed for 2.0 using hooks, they should work for each upgrade (poor/inadequate regression testing).

I see functions working in one version, broken in the next, even if the carts are not customized. These are bugs. But, I also see incompatibiliy with individual users custom code, modifications of CSS and other changes to databases and files by individuals. The incompatibilities to me are not bugs. CS-CART, should not have to test for all modifications made to all carts. In some cases the users response is that they solved the problem themselves-found their mistake.

Where do you draw the line between a software bug in which the cart is not working as designed and an incompatibility with custom code, some faulty, created by individual users, which I do not consider as bugs. This seems difficult.

I see this “bug” problem as one negative to open source carts and carts where the user has full access to the code. Not everyone is an expert.

Thanks for your opinions.

Bob[/quote]

Bob,

You are most certainly technically correct.

Yet the bug issue most be looked at in context:

In this case no one (not even CS cart) denies that many major coding errors have happened and that CS Cart is buggy, not stable and only suitable for upgrades by those who are very technically skilled.

So CS cart has an obligation to quickly fix all their mistakes. Now since we know that they have made many mistakes although we do not know how many…

I would say that they should give the benefit of the doubt to customers and fix everything that may be their fault until they get their act together.

Doing so would be correct in more than half the cases and if they fix a few situations where they were not at fault they would gain back some good will which is rapidly vanishing.

This is basic business not rocket science.

Certainly they should investigate all bug reports as a bare minimum and if they want to charge when they are not at fault that is ok.

Finally, without a doubt they need to work way faster and not take weekends off and work overtime until they have a stable 2.+ version.

Again these are basic business concepts nothing advanced or complicated.

I wish CS cart well and as a gift many of us are giving them free advice and almost all of us are free beta guinea pigs, which if they were smart they would listen to.

Sadly they are not listening, either they do not agree with our views or simply do not care I do not know which…