Is CDN worth it.?

Is it really worth setting up Amazon CDN ? What are the real cost.?

First I'd try to identify the actual benefits. My bet is that it is probably YMMV. If most of your business is US, having content in LA and servicing Miami is probably no big deal. But if your store is in LA and you are servicing Australia, then CDN “could” be a real benefit.

So I'd look at what I might get from using it and then look at what it's going to cost me and do the arithmetic to determine my ROI. But an ROI on no (or little) benefit can be really long even for small $$.

Yes I have been researching it… 95% of our sales is USA… And the cost is by no means cost effective… There would be no ROI…

Guys, if our hosting is in USA and website is for Europe clients, then CDN will make sense?

[quote name='Alexder' timestamp='1382426811' post='170121']

Guys, if our hosting is in USA and website is for Europe clients, then CDN will make sense?

[/quote]

Or if your truly just serving European clients then move your host… From all my research CDN is truly for those business trying to serve the world on just about every continent. If your only serving one geographical location then host fromt that location. Also make sure you research the cost. Not that cheap unless your turning big sales numbers…

What advantage is it going to give ?

Ping rates difference US to UK is ten times slower then from MainlandEU to UK.

UK to UK can be about 70% faster then EU to UK but that can be wiped out by your host.

In the CDN Settings there is an “Extra” area with a CNAME field. How important is it to set that up, and does anyone have any step by step instructions for doing it?

[quote name='kingsleypress' timestamp='1401317905' post='184475']

In the CDN Settings there is an “Extra” area with a CNAME field. How important is it to set that up, and does anyone have any step by step instructions for doing it?

[/quote]

Actually we have not ever used it, but here is some info from the reference guide

CNAME - Domain name that you want to use instead of the CloudFront domain name for the URLs for your files. You also need to create a CNAME record with your DNS service to route queries to CloudFront host (it will be displayed on this page after you enter account information).