include Product Feature values in search function?

Is it possible to configure CS-Cart’s search function so that a product’s Product Feature value is also searched by default?

For example, when looking at demo.cs-cart.com, a customer might want to search by ISBN# - but entering “9285837465” in the search does not return “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory”.

I see that the “Advanced Filter” search tool offers fields for each Product Feature (http://demo.cs-cart.com/professional/index.php?dispatch=products.search&advanced_filter=Y), so the code does exist - just not in a useful place.

I understand that one could copy all Product Feature values into the product’s “Search words” field, but that isn’t ideal.

thanks,

Glen

I second this… I actually made a feature request that tied into this process quite some time ago. Unfortunately folks were calling for a multi-vendor overhaul…

My proposal was that they would give features the option of being clickable - so that if I was looking at a product by a certain author, I could click on that author’s name and see all other products by that same author.

The same backend logic could be used to perform feature-based searches. Instead of having the request prefilled in a link, you allow for user input to type in their author.

This could be part of the advanced search panel on the customer side. I think what you are referring to is the code that powers the admin side. This does work, but it is a very clunky interface for customers to work with. I would not want to expose a user to a scrolling list of every author, forcing them to hunt down the ones they wanted and ticking them off (ha ha) before submitting the search.

I think feature filters are designed to fill this void on the customer side, but again you are not able to search easily for certain features that you want.

It is possible to extend the search interface to include additional fields - the SKU for example - but feature values are tough because of how they are stored and the multilanguage aspect…

My hope is that now that they have really worked through the caching mechanism, they can improve the search capabilities by utilizing the cache instead of hitting the DB so much. Then you’d just have to make sure you refresh the cache after making changes.

[quote name=‘jagorny’]I think what you are referring to is the code that powers the admin side. This does work, but it is a very clunky interface for customers to work with. I would not want to expose a user to a scrolling list of every author, forcing them to hunt down the ones they wanted and ticking them off (ha ha) before submitting the search.[/QUOTE]

If you take a look at the attached screenshot, the customer side does let you search Product Features (even those not assigned to a Filter). Some Product Feature types are not searchable - I haven’t tested them all. Depending on which Feature type you use for author, the search interface shouldn’t be too kludgy.

Glen

advanced_filter_search.jpg