Importing Product Questions

Ok say I start with a blank/fresh install of the store. I have everything on my csv product list. It includes categories etc. On a fresh install, if I import this, will it create those categories and all? Thanks

Yes, it will put the products in the categories you specify in the list, and if you want a product in more than one category, separate with ///

you will have to then add category meta data etc manually in the admin

Great. So on the image below, is there a way to comment out (kinda like in html) so it does not show up and/or import? Say I don't want the "retail-loose-buy" to import. Is there a way to block that out in the file?

I prefer to open my file in excel as a .csv and edit it in there, muc easier for me. But

if you are using text then similar thing. Just use find and replace in notpad plus or similar

Find "retail-loose-buy" replace with "nothing"

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001605.htm

If CSC does not recognize the field name, it will be ignored.

Ok cool, that seems to work. Is there a way to add certain fields on the cvs to description? Like I want it to do something like this in the description field:

Region:
NTSC (US, Canada)
Platform:
Nintendo
Product:
Cartridge Game
Genre:
Adventure
Rating:
E - For Everyone
Players:
1-2

Is there a way to add these fields in the description? Say Genre, UPC code, etc?

Ok cool, that seems to work. Is there a way to add certain fields on the cvs to description? Like I want it to do something like this in the description field:

Region:
NTSC (US, Canada)
Platform:
Nintendo
Product:
Cartridge Game
Genre:
Adventure
Rating:
E - For Everyone
Players:
1-2

Is there a way to add these fields in the description? Say Genre, UPC code, etc?

Use product features to store this data

Not sure how to set that up though? Is there a spot in the admin area to set the headings (or whatever they are called) of: Region, Platform, Genre, Rating etc?

Click on the ? symbol on the Import products page to see the format for product features. There is no need to create product features manually if you can create required format in the .csv file

http://prntscr.com/brecnp

You can add all that data if you like in the admin for one product then export it to see how it looks, then do the same in your spreadsheet with the rest

Yes, it will put the products in the categories you specify in the list, and if you want a product in more than one category, separate with ///

you will have to then add category meta data etc manually in the admin

Be careful. Only put a single category in the "Category" column and put additional categories in the "Secondary categories" column. Although cs-cart will add all the categories in the "Categories" column it will add them all as the main category. But there is only supposed to be one main category so it causes problems like being unable to change the main category in the admin site.

A quick look, appears to be way above my head lol. Not sure if I can figure that out or not. Say I have a "Region" section...not quote sure how to add NTSC, or even either of them for that matter to appear like the example above.

Ok I figured out how to add the features (Product>Feature) onto the product listing. Just not quite sure how do add all of that info to the csv file or how that would work. Sorry I am new to all of this. Here is an example pic:

Ok I figured out how to add the features (Product>Feature) onto the product listing. Just not quite sure how do add all of that info to the csv file or how that would work. Sorry I am new to all of this. Here is an example pic:

You can make test product, fill necessary data and export it to csv. Then just check the Product features column and data in similar format to other products