Importing Images

I see a common thread in my difficulty and others to understand a few things when importing images. What I need is to accomplish the following.

1. Import ~3000 detail images into the proper detailed folder. What is difference between /images and /images/backup? Why both? Keep in mind I will later need to export a public URL of detail and thumb images for customer data feeds.
  2. Although I think I know in part let us just define what purpose detailed, product, and thumbnails folders have.
  3. I can’t have random strings appended to my image file names since I will be setting up a data feed that correlates the product code to the image name. They must be the same. I don’t want dupes either.

How can I achieve all this? I’ve successfully imported all my images but would really like them in the /images folder and not in /images/backup. Ideally, in detailed for large sized and in thumbnail for small sized.

Thanks much,

John

[quote name=‘JB_1975’]1. Import ~3000 detail images into the proper detailed folder. What is difference between /images and /images/backup? Why both? Keep in mind I will later need to export a public URL of detail and thumb images for customer data feeds.

2. Although I think I know in part let us just define what purpose detailed, product, and thumbnails folders have.[/QUOTE]

Upload your images to the images/backup folder. When importing your images, leave the default folder as it is set in CS-Cart. Your images should then be imported and end up in the images/detailed_images folder with automatically generated thumbnails in the product_images folder.

You should then be able to delete all the images you have uploaded to your images/backup folder.

[QUOTE]3. I can’t have random strings appended to my image file names since I will be setting up a data feed that correlates the product code to the image name. They must be the same. I don’t want dupes either.[/QUOTE]

I think you will need to manually create a separate image for each product with the relevant name as CS-Cart automatically appends the random string to any image that already has the same name so as to differentiate between the images for each product.

[QUOTE]I think you will need to manually create a separate image for each product with the relevant name as CS-Cart automatically appends the random string to any image that already has the same name so as to differentiate between the images for each product.[/QUOTE]

Lyn, thanks for your reply. I didn’t receive notice until now of your response. So maybe multiple upload attempts is why I was seeing the random strings on my images? Each product code and image name that relate are the same and unique.

Is it true that I need to have a field in the import file named Thumbnail and leave it blank in each record for the script to create the thumbnails?

[quote name=‘JB_1975’]Each product code and image name that relate are the same and unique.[/QUOTE]

Basically you cannot have two images with the same name. If you don’t want the string to be automatically added to the image when you have a second image with the same name, you will need to save the image with different names and upload all of them.

There is a post here - [url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/showthread.php?t=9976&highlight=image+names[/url] - which talks about image renaming and how to reduce the numbers that are added to the name. This is for version 1 though and I’m not sure if it works with version 2.

[quote name=‘JB_1975’]Is it true that I need to have a field in the import file named Thumbnail and leave it blank in each record for the script to create the thumbnails?[/QUOTE]

I am not sure of this as I have never imported without the thumbnail column. You could try it and see if the thumbnails are automatically generated but I always have the empty thumbnail column in my imports.

Good enough for me. Thanks.

I am hoping that leaving the thumbnail and/or detailed image columns out will stop the creation of the thumbnail. Otherwise think of what kind of mess that would create in your thumbnail image folder each time a product was updated through the import tool.

Once you have your products set up, if you want to change anything, such as the prices, using the import feature doesn’t do anything to the images as long as you don’t have the images column in your import file. Just import the columns you want to update and completely delete the other columns, i.e. if you want to update the prices, just have two columns in your import file (product code and price).

I do this all the time and, as long as you aren’t re-importing the images column, it doesn’t affect anything.

But I’m still not sure whether the thumbnail will still be created if you leave the thumbnail column out altogether - why don’t you try it with one product and see.