Importing/Exporting of Custom Fields

I have successfully created custom fields in my product description database table that appear on my product details page and on my product update page located in the admin section. My custom fields are also fully searchable using the basic simple search feature on on my homepage. No more advanced searches to search my custom fields! Phase 1 completed!!

For my Phase 2, I’m needing to be able to import and export these custom fields using my spreadsheet. I’ve added the custom fields in my spreadsheet but when I try to import or export them, the changes don’t take for my custom fields.

Does anyone have any knowledge of how I can do this???

By the way, if anyone wants to know how I added the fields to my admin or product details page, let me know and I’ll post the info for you.

Thanks!

This is all driven by schema xml files. look under schemas/exim.

It is hugely complex, very sensitive to changes and will probaby require you to write interface functions for import/export/view and other schema actions for each of your custom fields.

I don’t know if you ever figured it out, but here’s what i did and it seems to work well.

In my case I needed a custom field that was for items that can’t be shipped so, after adding the appropriate information into the database I added the following to schemas/exim/products.php around line 248

[QUOTE]),

‘No ship’ => array (

‘db_field’ => ‘product_field’[/QUOTE]

I can import and export that field now…saved a ton of hours modifing each procduct by hand.

Hope it helps.

[quote name=‘dlm3089’]I have successfully created custom fields in my product description database table that appear on my product details page and on my product update page located in the admin section. My custom fields are also fully searchable using the basic simple search feature on on my homepage. No more advanced searches to search my custom fields! Phase 1 completed!!

For my Phase 2, I’m needing to be able to import and export these custom fields using my spreadsheet. I’ve added the custom fields in my spreadsheet but when I try to import or export them, the changes don’t take for my custom fields.

Does anyone have any knowledge of how I can do this???

By the way, if anyone wants to know how I added the fields to my admin or product details page, let me know and I’ll post the info for you.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

I would love to know how you added the custom fields to the database and product update page. look forward to seeing your post

Hello, nissansr

your method function perfect.

Would it be possible to do the same trick to import/export options with images and allowed combinations?

B.R.

[font=“Verdana”]NISSANSR:

Could you please share the modifications you made to the Database?

The method of importing products. Visiting website and adding global options (not as link). Then exporting, and fiddling around and removing some options. Then building Option Combinations and exporting and reimporting with product codes for EACH option combination… UGH! What a nightmare!

There MUST be a simple solution to handle this! :([/font]