Huge mistake selecting CS-Cart

[quote name=‘indy0077’]Do you use Google Analytics or another statistic program? Did you check and compare the visits on your site with the previous cart? If you get less visitors, that will be a SEO problem with your old URL’s.[/QUOTE]

Good point. Yes I am using G-A. I did 301’s for all my old pages so they are okay (first month this might have been an issue). Traffic is the same as far as unique’s go including PPC ad’s. Every month traffic is going up so that is a good thing. Up until the switchover to CS-cart my monthly averages were all up compared to previous year/month. November/December are always high because the products we sell are gift oriented…

Maybe this would be a good topic to setup a “Poll” on your site, something like "Do you find ordering through our site confusing, what areas can we improve?, etc, etc… you get the point.

The cs-cart checkout seems much easier to use then the prestshop version, sometimes you just get customers that can’t checkout no matter how easy you try to make it - Sno

over the last couple of weeks i had a few complaints.

one was the customer couldn’t remove an item from the cart so abandon it (and called me to place the order). I tried it myself and got stuck (using firefox) tried entering “0” in the cart for an item but couldn’t get rid of it. tried again and again couldn’t. I don’t know if it was me but when i tried later i noticed “x” at the end of the product which i hadn’t noticed earlier. May be it was me or a problem with cs cart not displaying the delete icon (perhaps it should be made bigger or moved to a better place.

I also had a problem adding to the cart earlier that week . i couldn’t add anything. Works fine now. Don’t know what the problem was, maybe a plug in in firefox, server problem.

These intermittent problems are hard to trace and maybe not cscart problem but user problems.

[quote name=‘mrfoameruk’]

one was the customer couldn’t remove an item from the cart so abandon it (and called me to place the order). I tried it myself and got stuck (using firefox) tried entering “0” in the cart for an item but couldn’t get rid of it. tried again and again couldn’t. I don’t know if it was me but when i tried later i noticed “x” at the end of the product which i hadn’t noticed earlier. May be it was me or a problem with cs cart not displaying the delete icon (perhaps it should be made bigger or moved to a better place.

.[/QUOTE]

There is a feature request in the Bug Tracker requesting that changing an item quantity to 0 removes the item from the cart:

[url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/vbugs.php?do=view&vbug_id=1768[/url]

You can change the icon for the delete function so that it has a bright contrasting color - that should make it more visible. It is located at /skins/YOURSKIN/customer/images/icons/delete_product.gif

Bob

There are a couple things you can do. First, I would ditch 1 page checkout. It is very frustrating and confusing. I used to get complaints on 1 page, but none after I switched to multiple page checkout.

Also, the thing that I don’t like about 2.0 is that there are 2 separate pages, the “view cart” takes you to a page that lists all your cart content and displays a shipping calculator (which can we switched to be always visible, there is a thread on this). The “checkout” page takes you directly to the customer info page and bypasses the cart. On my 2.0 store (in progress), I changed all the “checkout” buttons to go to the cart page so people can see their shipping charges before entering all their info.

Last year when I went from 1.3.5 to 2.0 my conversion rates plummeted so I switched back. Unfortunately, because of pci compliance I have to go back to 2.0, but am going slow and altering it as much as possible to reflect my 1.3.5 checkout.

[QUOTE]On my 2.0 store (in progress), I changed all the “checkout” buttons to go to the cart page so people can see their shipping charges before entering all their info. [/QUOTE]

I agree with you 100% Moka, allowing customers to “bypass” the Cart & go directly to checkout is an issue which can cause confusion!

Also in agreement with your comments, when someone clicks “Checkout” & bypasses the cart, they have also bypassed the shipping rates calculator, no doubt this will often create confusion (leading to frustration) for your customers during the ordering process! Ideally the customer should only be able to access the “Checkout” step from the actual cart page. I like your idea of changing the checkout buttons to direct to the actual cart dispatch=checkout.cart :wink:

It does seem that bypassing the cart and going to the checkout can cause problems because you can’t delete items or change Quantities.

I just “purchased” 4 glasses on Ion_Cannon website. When you check out and go directly to the one page checkout, you can’t see the cart to delete any glasses. I may only want two of them.

Ion_Cannon did modify the one page check out to exclude the cart. Takes up the entire page with no distractions. I did too, but not completely. I am using the one I saw posted here that has the cart visible when you are the payment part of the one page check out. You need to see the cart at some time during checkout. I would like it to be a “page” in the one page checkout called - Final check, or something like this.

This is why I like cs-cart, I have many text fields that may need correcting by the customer. Very few carts have edit options in cart standard.

Bob

Good suggestions. I will try to point the checkout button directly to the Cart on the mini-cart to see if that helps any.

[quote name=‘Ion_Cannon’]Good suggestions. I will try to point the checkout button directly to the Cart on the mini-cart to see if that helps any.[/QUOTE]

Not only on the mini-cart but also on the ajax popup that the item was added the cart.

[quote name=‘adodric’]Not only on the mini-cart but also on the ajax popup that the item was added the cart.[/QUOTE]

I’ve edited the pop up before but can never remember where it is. This is one thing I hate about CS-Cart, the templates are all over the place…

CS-Cart most likely viewed the ability to bypass the cart & go directly to “checkout” a benefit, as in most likely one less step for customers to go through in finalizing an order. However, in doing this it actually does create more confusion so IMO was not a good idea…

If you think about it, when someone actually makes the decision to complete their order, the logical next step is to take them to an area where they can quickly lookover the items in their cart one final time as well as seeing what their actual shipping cost will be, THEN they will feel confident in finalizing their order!

Let me put it this way, I actually end up placing several customer orders myself through our CS-Cart, and I STILL sometimes get confused when I click the “Checkout” link & bypass the cart, mostly because the first thing I also want to do is give the customer their actual shipping cost. Quite often I immediately stop right there & click “View Cart” so i can view all of the particulars in one place. And until a new customer has fully entered their billing & shipping details, then they would have no idea what the shipping costs will be.

Of course if I get confused or stumble when placing orders through a site I am quite familiar with, then of course random customers must!

So, as Moka suggested, I am right now in the process of changing all of the checkout links to direct to the cart, no need for anyone to go directly to checkout.

[quote name=‘Ion_Cannon’]I’ve edited the pop up before but can never remember where it is. This is one thing I hate about CS-Cart, the templates are all over the place…[/QUOTE]

/skins/YOURSKIN/customer/views/products/components/product_notification.tpl

Bob

[quote name=‘Ion_Cannon’]I’ve edited the pop up before but can never remember where it is. This is one thing I hate about CS-Cart, the templates are all over the place…[/QUOTE]

common_templates/notification.tpl

Seems like it would be a great configuration option to be able to force the cart prior to checkout.

Bob

I, too, decided to force everyone to view the cart before beginning the checkout process. Similar to Moka, I also use the multi-page checkout because I asked some regular customers to perform useability on the cart before going live and all liked the multi-page rather than the single page checkout. I also thought the multi-page was better and less confusing especially compared to my previous layout which was also multi-page. I’ve had very problems with customers checking out although I also have much less traffic than most of you, I think.

I agree that it would be a nice config option to have the ability to force the customer to view the cart before checkout. It was a bit of a pain to find the links and buttons to change the code to view cart instead of checkout.

[quote name=‘jobosales’]Seems like it would be a great configuration option to be able to force the cart prior to checkout.

Bob[/QUOTE]

Just added to bugtracker as “Feature Request”

OK, so I am following some of the tips here on this thread. Here’s what I’ve done so far.

• Changed to the 3 page checkout. Honestly, I’ve never really looked at it. It’s not bad at all. Probably a little less confusing for the average customer actually. Very similar to Macy’s checkout.

• Edited the “remove” button in the cart contents to highlight it more. Hopefully they fix the 0 product remove issue.

• Added “edit” links for the addresses and contact information on the last step. Trying to make it as dummy proof as possible.

Will let everyone know if I see any improvement.

Hello Ion,

Here is a link to a recent thread which you may also be interested in since you touched on slowness during https as well as wanting to improve cart usability.

[url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/showthread.php?t=15777&page=2&highlight=secure[/url]

I will only say that I am very impressed with this change after making it on our end!

[quote name=‘Struck’]Hello Ion,

Here is a link to a recent thread which you may also be interested in since you touched on slowness during https as well as wanting to improve cart usability.

[url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/showthread.php?t=15777&page=2&highlight=secure[/url]

I will only say that I am very impressed with this change after making it on our end![/QUOTE]

Thanks, it seems the slowest thing is from step 1 to 2 and I think it has to do with getting the shipping rates. Not sure how this can be sped up?