How to Override Price Class / Style

I created a custom wrapper that is for Featured Items but has a dark background. I created a class for the body inside the wrapper that overrides the settings for a:link a:visited etc. so the text for the product description is white instead of black/grey but I haven’t been able to figure out how to override the color for the price.

I’m using the ‘Small items appearance’ type. The hierarchy of the template files is:

I’m trying to figure out a way to override the price color without having to create a new appearance type (e.g. Small items light-font) and modify the schema settings.

I know the hierarchy is something like this:

blocks/locations/all/right.tpl

blocks/wrappers/sidebox_featured.tpl

blocks/products_small_items.tpl

blocks/list_templates/small_items.tpl

# common_templates/price.tpl

One method is creating a new class: price-light (that specifies a light color font)

I know the portion in small_items.tpl that calls the price display is this chunk of code:

[HTML]

{assign var="old_price" value="old_price_`$obj_id`"}
{if $smarty.capture.$old_price|trim}{$smarty.capture.$old_price} {/if}

{assign var="price" value="price_`$obj_id`"}

{$smarty.capture.$price}
[/HTML]

I know in price.tpl, it uses the $class variable to set the class. But I can't set that in sidebox_featured.tpl because variable assignments are only good for the template they are assigned in.

I know in right.tpl the block statement is specifying and id:

[HTML]{block id=85 template="blocks/products_small_items.tpl" wrapper="blocks/wrappers/sidebox_featured.tpl"}[/HTML]

If the id stays the same, can I read the block id somehow and use a smarty if to reassign the class value?

Any recommendation on an easy method to pull this off is appreciated.