How To Add [Checkbox] Shipping Insurance & Signature On Delivery?

I’d like to simply have a checkbox (under the “Shipping Options” section of the checkout), one for “Signature on Delivery” - $3 and another one for “Insurance”.

For insurance, if possible I’d like for it to be for example $1.50 of insured value per $100 of the order total. So it should automatically calculate if the order total is $100, $500, $250 etc. - Otherwise if this can’t be done or will require custom modifications can I make it something like flat rate of $10 with $500 worth of insured cover? Again, just a checkbox will do.

Of course the checkbox for the insurance, and the one for the signature on delivery would need to add towards the order/cart total accordingly.

Thanks,

Daniel

[quote name='djg' timestamp='1406024004' post='187974']

I'd like to simply have a checkbox (under the “Shipping Options” section of the checkout), one for “Signature on Delivery” - $3 and another one for “Insurance”.

For insurance, if possible I'd like for it to be for example $1.50 of insured value per $100 of the order total. So it should automatically calculate if the order total is $100, $500, $250 etc. - Otherwise if this can't be done or will require custom modifications can I make it something like flat rate of $10 with $500 worth of insured cover? Again, just a checkbox will do.

Of course the checkbox for the insurance, and the one for the signature on delivery would need to add towards the order/cart total accordingly.

[/quote]

Good day,

Unfortunately there is no ability to add extra checkbox which can add extra surcharge to the shipping methods. We can offer you to create 2 shipping methods instead and define different shipping charges for them. For example:

1. Fedex - USD 100
  2. Fedex (Signature on Delivery) - USD 101.5

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply - that will have to do :)

Yes thats all very good , but there is no way to Clone a Shipping method and then just add the Insurance calculation . It takes hours to set up a shipping method correctly for Australia as there are many many “zones”, and since the CS cart shipping mechanism is so buggy (not sure if its been fixed in v4)

A more friendly functionality would be to have an additional section in the shipping methods for insurance calculation and an associated checkbox at checkout. Also a “offer insurance” checkbox in shipping method admin.

This insurance is something covered by a third party insurer and offered for All Shipping Methods. To show two versions for each method is just cumbersome and unfriendly. For Example:

1. Regular eParcel
  2. Regular eParcel Insured
  3. Express
  4. Express Insured
  5. Courier overnight
  6. Courier overnight Insured

IMHO Its much simpler for the customer and admin to have an calculated insurance option for each shipping method.

Cheers

Doesn't address the signature issue. Many carriers offer both services and should be done as separate methods. We could write you a shipping cloner if that is you real problem.

Hi,

A shipping method cloner would be very handy, but we dont want to present the customer with duplicate shipping methods (with/without). Just need a checkbox presented to the customer, that has an associated cost that is calculated from cost.

However, thinking more about this, since the insurance cover is actually provided by our store, and since many orders have multiple suppliers, the cover is more about the time we must expend on tracking parcels, and possible re-supply of missing items, rather than a direct association with one particular shipping method,

So it might be better to base the insurance simply on the total order cost, in the shipping estimator and the appropriate step of the checkout rather than have connection to shipping methods.

@remoteone - this becomes a custom solution then. If you'd like a quote please generate a list of requirements and click the Get A Quote link in my signature. Be happy to quote you for this work after the list of requirements is complete. I would recommend making the 'shipping_freight' charge dynamic for the order. Hence it would become a function of the order amount (or items related to that shipment).

Back looking at this again, as soon will be updating an old cart. After seeing so many online stores offering a simple checkbox for insurance at checkout time. Its silly that CSCart does not have this built in.

It dos appear tho' that I may be one of a very small number of CSCart users in the entire world that wants this, so I may well need to have this custom coded...

https://cscart.uservoice.com/forums/134344-cs-cart/suggestions/6795559-insurance-calculator-for-shipping-methods

This addon look like it can add a Fixed Price "additional service" at checkout.

http://marketplace.cs-cart.com/add-ons/customer-experience/additional-services-addon.html

Might be worth trying.

Unfortunately, their own Demo site didn't show any additional services when I tried it..

It is not a difficult change to make. It can easily be done within your my_changes addon as long as you know what you want to charge for the insurance or can identify a method to determine the rate. Feel free to request a quote from my signature and provide your specific requirements.

We will also be adding price modifiers to our checkout summary fields addon in the future, but it's not available right now.