How does deleting products affect reports/orders?

I have a category of products that I'm no longer carrying. I'd like to delete them completely from the store so I don't have to work around them in the product listing pages all the time.

What I'm concerned about is how this will affect my customer order information and my store reports.

I did a test product, purchased it and then deleted it and while it showed in the order information (looking at it as a customer and as admin), when I looked at it in the current day sales report it does not show the product, just deleted (see snapshot). The days total sales are correct.

The products I want to delete number in the hundreds, is there anyway to avoid them all showing as simply “deleted”?

Thanks.

Screen shot 2011-08-19 at 12.33.04 PM.png

Yes, it will screw up the product names, options and other product related issues in orders.

I've been ragging on cs-cart for over a year to fix this, but to no avail… Order data SHOULD NEVER BE DELETED OR MODIFIED BY OTHER ACTIONS ON THE SYSTEM. It is a contract between the buyer and seller. But…

[quote name='tbirnseth' timestamp='1313795952' post='119913']

I've been ragging on cs-cart for over a year to fix this, but to no avail…

[/quote]

I started long before you and they did fix it at one point but I haven't checked it lately.

They fixed most of it in 2.0.15 related to product references. But I believe if the product is deleted, that it is still looking for some product references based on the product_id (which no longer exists). Options are still a mess if they've been imported and subsequently overwritten, replaced or deleted. Editing an order can make all the options reset to the first entry if you have imported options without using the option_id specification in the csv import file…

Slightly off topic but I deleted some by accident yesterday a full categories worth…I did it in admin by trying to open a new window right clicking a link to open it but did it hastily and chose the delete this category link …can i get it back or is it gone.

Thanks

john

History… Suggest you use the method of having all your products also reside in a hidden category named “all products” so that future finger-fumbles don't have such a negative impact…

As they say… Sorry for your loss.

[quote name='johnbol1' timestamp='1313915220' post='119994']

Slightly off topic but I deleted some by accident yesterday a full categories worth…I did it in admin by trying to open a new window right clicking a link to open it but did it hastily and chose the delete this category link …can i get it back or is it gone.

Thanks

john

[/quote]

Just call your webhost all good ones have backups.