How Do I Configure Product Search To Be Case Neutral?

many of our vendor added products have text case all over… some all lower case, some all upper case, some mixed case…

search only finds the products when they 'exactly match'… this leads to customer and vendor confusion.

how can I configure search to be case neutral?

Most search strings for things like names, descriptions, etc. are already case-insensitive based on their using the LIKE verb rather than '=' Unless your DB (or possibly table) is specifically configured to NOT ignore case when using LIKE then it will be insensitive. Can you provide a quick example of a search term and how the results are different based on case? If I search for 'MAIL' on my site I get expected results and none of them contain 'MAIL' but instead contain either 'mail', 'Mail' or 'Mailchimp'

[quote name='tbirnseth' timestamp='1431285828' post='213883']

Most search strings for things like names, descriptions, etc. are already case-insensitive based on their using the LIKE verb rather than '=' Unless your DB (or possibly table) is specifically configured to NOT ignore case when using LIKE then it will be insensitive. Can you provide a quick example of a search term and how the results are different based on case? If I search for 'MAIL' on my site I get expected results and none of them contain 'MAIL' but instead contain either 'mail', 'Mail' or 'Mailchimp'

[/quote]

I think this may have been because the product name was not set, causing search to use the description field. now that I have forced the name to be set (vendor import), things seem a lot better