How do I change descrition styles in css sheet

I am new to this area and have found nothing on a forum with a search.

Surely for both the short and long descriptions there is somewhere within stylers.css that has the information about the style for the short and long description.

Or am I showing a fundamental lack of understanding of some core principal.

I suppose also -

How and where do I change the sizes used by fck editor when I do select a size such as medium (which is massive).

If I understand you correctly, all of the font syles, sizes, colors, etc…for the descriptions are done with the editor. Just play around with it. It won’t take you long to figure out what all it does.

Here’s a couple of examples:

Select the HTML editor in the page that contains the text.

[ATTACH]793[/ATTACH]

Highlight the portion of text you want to change. Example of size:

[ATTACH]794[/ATTACH]

Example of color:

[ATTACH]795[/ATTACH]

There are other things you can do as well such as creating links inside of words/phrases.

htmleditor2.jpg

htmleditor1.jpg

htmleditor.jpg

I don’t know where the original styles for the descriptions are in the the style sheet, but what I did is just create my own styles and then when I made my descriptions I just told it to use that style. Because of where everything is located you don’t need to point to anything special so you can just have:

Or whatever tag you want.

Brandon

Lol - I am stuck between the two extremes in my knowledge.

Thanks Tool but I can use fck pretty much fine but my understanding of css was that I should be able to change the details in one place and it would then apply to all my descriptions. So a new font style etc.

I think brandondv is pointing me in the right and probably better direction than I had originally thought but I am not sure where I would put this bit of code.

If you could give me a few pointers then I can go searching for more details. But I am not sure what I am going to be searching for at the moment - if that makes sense.

Maybe an example if it is only a few lines of code?

I had in my head that there would simply be a bit that I would change in the cs-cart styles.css sheet.

Page

Here is what I have in one of my short descriptions:

The Precision Marine Protein Skimmer Bullet-2 is the first of all of the Bullet skimmers designed. This skimmer is a workhorse on tanks to 250 gallons. If you have a 100g system now, but are planning to upgrade, this is an excellent choice.

And here is a full description:

```php

Precision Marine Bullet 2 Protein Skimmer

The Precision Marine Protein Skimmer Bullet-2 is the first of all of the Bullet skimmers designed. This skimmer is a workhorse on tanks to 250 gallons. If you have a 100g system now, but are planning to upgrade, this is an excellent choice.

The Precision Marine Bullet 2 protein skimmer uses a Beckett Foam injector to create copious amounts of foam. Somewhat compact at less than 28" this skimmer will handle systems up to 250 gallons. Best when used with a pump which can provide 1200 gph at a 4` head i.e. a Mag 18, GenX PCX40 (Mak 4), Iwaki 40RLT.

Bullet-2 Features:

• ALL Cast Acrylic Construction

• Adjustable Air Intake

• Extra-Thick Keyholed Cup Flanges

• Optional SPEARS s/80 Gate Valve/Super-Smooth, no cheap screws to rust!

• Waste Collector Compatible

• Built to the Precision Marine Quality Standard!

• Dimensions: 10" x 6.75" x 24" (requires an additional 1" for removal of collection cup)

• One year warranty against defects in materials and workmanship.

Bullet-2 Specifications:

• Overall Height: 24"

• Base Dimensions 6.75" x 10"

• Inlet Size: 1" Barb

• Outlet Size: 1.5" FPT

• Required Clearance: 1"

• Suggested Water Pump: MAK4, Mag 18 or Iwaki 40RLT

• Recommended Capacity: 250 gal

Bullet-2 Includes:

• Custom-Made Integrated Union Lid

• Ozone Port w/cap

• High Quality Air Valve

• JG Speedfit Connectors

• 1” Insert 90 (for flexible tubing)

• Custom Made Precision Marine Muffler

```

By the way I edit all of my descriptions using Adobe Dreamweaver since it makes it easier to manipulate all of the code. I am sure that you could use any code editing program or even notepad. I am sure that if you are good enough with the code than you probably could do all of your editing just in the manage products, but I just don't know the code that well so I have to use Dreamweaver.

Brandon

LOL! Like I said “not sure I understand”…and I still don’t.

Why would you want to have to dig into the files when it can be easily done with the HTML editor?

Tool Outfitters

Dig into what files? The only file that needs to be changed is style.css and that only needs to be changed once.

The way I do my descriptions is the same as using the HTML editor, but it is just easier for me since I am familiar with Dreamweaver. This method also saves me time since my internet connection sucks and it takes so long for the WYSIWYG / HTML editor to come up. My way also allows me to make small changes easier. For example: If I am adding a new line of protien skimmers to my stock I can easily just change the 3 to 4 numbers that I need to in Dreamweaver and then copy / paste the code into the description.

If there is a better way to do the desciptions, especially for someone like me with a slow internet connection, I would love to know. If there isn’t, my method works fine for me and is real easy.

Brandon

I didn’t mean to add the s in files. I also didn’t mean to ruffle any feathers.

If you have already figured out where what goes in the file and you have a slow internet connection, then yes, your way is the way to go.

As for someone trying to figure out where what goes…why bother when it can be easily done via the HTML editor?

Nah. No feathers ruffled. I was just trying to figure out what you meant.

Brandon

One more thing I forgot to add that I really like about creating a style in the style sheet is that all of my descriptions are the same fonts, etc. so if I want to change a particular aspect of my description, ie fonts size, than all I have to do is change that in my style sheet. I guess this would all depend on what you are selling, but I really like having uniformity to all of my descriptions and short descriptions. I know this is probably lame by the way, but I like it.

Brandon

[quote name=‘brandonvd’]One more thing I forgot to add that I really like about creating a style in the style sheet is that all of my descriptions are the same fonts, etc. so if I want to change a particular aspect of my description, ie fonts size, than all I have to do is change that in my style sheet. I guess this would all depend on what you are selling, but I really like having uniformity to all of my descriptions and short descriptions. I know this is probably lame by the way, but I like it.

Brandon[/QUOTE]

That in a way was why I was asking - because I have changed the look and feel of the site a few times and may fancy a different size font at some time - but also perhaps a bit of a lack of understanding on my part.

I thought the mantra was - style sheets good - HTML setting of font bad.

Have I called that one wrong.

(PS That little exchange of comments helped me understand a bit more)

Thanks Brandonvd - I think I am nearly there.

I have been having a play and learn with Kompozer over the weekend and now have a basic understanding of styles and styles creation etc - which are neatly built into it.

So if someone could fill in the final parts of the jigsaw that would be great.

My understanding is …

That I create a new style (using Kompozer).

That I add this to the styles.css template - the question is where?

I think that I should create a section at the end and put them all in there and comments above and below it. (But maybe it should be at the top)

So

/* My Own Styles /

.mystyle1 {style stuff in here }

.mystyle2 {style stuff in here }

/
End of My Own Styles */

Then in the code for an item description (say) I would put

Description text Here

After which the mystyle1 would no long be applied to any text.

Job done.

OR if I wanted I could define the style information in a template - at the top - instead of in the styles.css.

If I did this then the style is only available within that template.

So a couple of small questions.

Page

You are on the right track from what I can see. (Or at least compared to what I do)

I created my new style and put it at the bottom of the style.css sheet. I don’t really think it matters where you put the style, but I put mine at the bottom just so I would know where they are.

As for calling up the style you are also looking at it right. The

Description text Here

is exactly what I use. You can also use the classes in lists and other tags.

I used to not understand the styles either, but after using them for a while I have learned to really like them. Depending on what you are trying to do with the style you can really eliminate a lot of repetitive coding.

Keep up the good work,

Brandon