How Best To Handle Partial Shipments?

I just processed an order and there were about 5 items on the order. 2 of them are on backorder. I couldn’t figure out how to make those ones on backorder and the rest shipped. So what I did was edit the order and put 0 on the ones that were backordered, but it deleted the items. Is there a way to make it show that there are a couple items on backorder?

Hello,

Try using the “Shipments” feature built-in to CS-Cart, this is very useful in conveying this type of information to customers, both from the email shipment notifications sent as well as from customers having the ability to login to their accounts & view specific shipment details for each order.

Coincidence, one of my staff asked me this today and i tried to go through it with him, About 5% of our orders are done solely through the site so created the shipment and printed the packing slip, but was unsure whether the customer would recieve an email stating the part shipment or not.

Do you know if they get a email notification email on this struck as the packing slip just says what thay have this shipment, not what is “to follow” ?

John

Hello John,

[QUOTE]Do you know if they get a email notification email on this struck as the packing slip just says what thay have this shipment, not what is “to follow” ?[/QUOTE]

The shipment notification email just lists the actual quantity shipped (on this particular shipment) as well as the Carrier and Tracking number.

There is an area for notes while entering the shipment details where you could add a quick note saying, for example: The remaining 10 items on your order will ship out on 11/24.

We find the Shipments feature to be a very useful customer service tool and has basically eliminated all of the time consuming phone calls of “Can you tell me when my order shipped and get me a tracking number”? That in itself is priceless! :wink:

There are two improvements I would like to see on the “Shipments” feature, most important is the ability to be able to enter the actual “Ship Date” while processing, for example sometimes we shipped the order yesterday and didnt have time to complete the shipment details until the next day. It would also be useful for the tracking number (or even the Carrier) to be clickable within the email notification so customers could track the shipment easier.

But is there any indication on the order details as to what has shipped and what hasn’t? Or do you have to figure that out by viewing the shipment details. I suppose you could change the order to backorder status and use that as a flag to go view shipment info to see what wasn’t shipped yet. Ideally there should be. Report you can view with a list of all unshipped items for all orders. Then as product come in you easily know where it needs to be shipped.

Hello John,

The shipment notification email just lists the actual quantity shipped (on this particular shipment) as well as the Carrier and Tracking number.

There is an area for notes while entering the shipment details where you could add a quick note saying, for example: The remaining 10 items on your order will ship out on 11/24.

[quote name=‘Struck’]

We find the Shipments feature to be a very useful customer service tool and has basically eliminated all of the time consuming phone calls of “Can you tell me when my order shipped and get me a tracking number”? That in itself is priceless! :wink:

[/QUOTE]

Definately[quote name=‘Struck’]

There are two improvements I would like to see on the “Shipments” feature, most important is the ability to be able to enter the actual “Ship Date” while processing, for example sometimes we shipped the order yesterday and didnt have time to complete the shipment details until the next day. It would also be useful for the tracking number (or even the Carrier) to be clickable within the email notification so customers could track the shipment easier.[/QUOTE]

Yea, we tried inserting html link in the tracking box but no good.

John

[quote name=‘Struck’]It would also be useful for the tracking number (or even the Carrier) to be clickable within the email notification so customers could track the shipment easier.[/QUOTE]

Copy /skins/your_skin/customer/common_templates/carriers.tpl to /skins/your_skin/mail/common_templates/

[quote name=‘The Tool’]Copy /skins/your_skin/customer/common_templates/carriers.tpl to /skins/your_skin/mail/common_templates/[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info Tool!

I will move the carriers.tpl file later this evening & give it a try. :wink: