how best to change url/move database to new site?

we are reluctantly changing our business name and need to change url’s. I need to move our cart from its current url to a new url. my biggest concern is google ranking, but we have only been open for less than a year and were indexed pretty well soon after launch, so I am praying we have similar success with the new name.

unfortunately i have limited abilities with this stuff, so I don’t really know where to start and cant get too fancy with the switch. i’m just hoping someone can give some advice on what the easiest way to accomplish this would be, and anything else I can do to make the move as painless as possible.

thank you in advance for your advice as it is greatly appreciated

I’m assuming you are staying with your current host. You will have to change all url’s in the database to reflect the change. I would download the database from your server using phpMyAdmin, open it in wordpad or any text editor and do a search and replace. Next I would drop all tables using phpMyAdmin and import the database with the changed url’s. This should all take about 10 minutes.

Awesome, thanks for the help Roban, I don’t quite know how to do all of that but think a friend of mine can help me through it. Yes, we’re super happy with CyberLnc and plan on staying with them for sure.

Any ideas or suggestions on how to ease the pain of losing my google indexing?

ok, I’m not sure exactly how to do this, any specifics on how to best backup/download the database, and then “drop tables and re-upload” would be greatly appreciated.

I really don’t want to screw this up and don’t know much about phpMyAdmin. If there’s any documentation you can point me to that would be great as well.

Thanks again