Hosting Advice

[quote name='AmitP' timestamp='1324651323' post='128345']

I'm still not happy with Martfox VPS. Sometimes fast sometimes slow! I'm running a “managed” 1gig / 2gig burst server with Webo and its so erratic. I have found another site running cs-cart and it's blisteringly quick weybridge- audio.co.uk. The speed of this site amazes me. Was looking at ServINT but am now not confident after hearing they only patch security through whm/cPanel. I'm finding that the cPanel uses a tonne of CPU and really is not streamlined at all. Having a look at clook now!

[/quote]

I am on MArtfox VPS Theta too and runs fine for last 7 months have you asked martfox about the problem ? I had a couple of issues in the early days but they sorted them. I remember trting webo and caused me alll sorts of problems, ditched it and moved to Smart optimizer and everything is fine.

www hivis.co.uk.

John

Panang,

Let me re-phrase… “Public Cloud” comptuting is only good for non-DB intensive applications.

Cloud is an architecture and as such can be implemented in many different forms. It simply means that locality of data is defined as being in the cloud where you have permission to access. The granulatrity of it is the file. Hence files can be scattered across the cloud.

You'll find that many large companies use a cloud architecture simply because it allows load-balancing of the web-head systems (the processing of http requests). But you'll also find that the DB for these is setup on an optimized system using a SAN that can service those requests quickly. The DB data itself is localized and not deployed in the cloud.

So if you're an Amazon or Sales Force or countless others with deep pockets and your own (or leased) server farms, then sure, you can use a cloud architecture but you're not going to be using a public-domain database that uses individual files to store table data where (based on it being a cloud) you have no control over where those files are located. You'll find that the cloud architecture is used only for the web-heads and the file based data. But you'll find that the DB layer is not implemented in a cloud architecture whose boundaries is greater than a SAN.

Do you really think they are storing the data (versus the reference to the files) in the SmugMug database? Listen when they talk about their mySQL nodes. They don't talk about mySQL being deployed in the cloud and they specifically discuss keeping other data off of the mySQL servers. They also distinguish their servers by role (web,upload, etc.). Also they use Akami for CDN. They also design their whole application to fit into their architecture. They are not building an application that will run on virtually any sized machine.

Put an installation of cs-cart “out on the cloud” and then put a moderate load on it. It will come to a crawl…

Anyplace cs-cart is installed on a single server with whatever would be considered a moderate load would slow it an any other software and website down.

Now if you created a server with cs-cart made an image in AWS, brought 3, 4 or more servers up with a load balancer, connected them to a master database and used ([url=“Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting.”]Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting.) which auto scales your network monitors mysql and more, you have your self a highly scalable cs-cart system.

There's no defining though moderate load but cs-cart in the cloud would easily handle any load with the right network architecture. And anyone with a moderate load whatever that may be if their conversion rates were good should be thinking about scaling their site when needed. Average e-commerce startups are perfectly fine on shared hosts with private IP's for SSL etc.

Rackspace is also chearper than amazon, and maxCDN is much more affordable than akamai. There are plenty of ways to save money with both Amazon and Rackspace, as your only charged for live instances you can use their API's to put 100 servers online when needed and take them down and pay for what you use which is one big plus to cloud computing and paying for usage.

Well, for the 3 people on this forum who might understand what you're discussing, you're absolutely right. But how many merchants even know what a system architecture is? Hence my original comment. What you describe is in the <1 percentile of readers of this forum.

Acquire an instance of a public cloud (Rackspace is a real good example since I host there). Install cs-cart into that instance and it will run like a slug.

Not too many on here can go beyond that. But in any event, you're not going to have your mySQL server as part of any cloud. Having a dedicated mySQL server that provided data to the web-servers with a fast network would work just fine. But again, how many merchants on here could: 1) define it. 2) maintain it and 3) pay for it.

the best webhosting is interserver.net. I am with them and my site is super fast. No downtime. No email issues.

jaguarpc.com is garbage. they always have downtime and email never sent or sometimes after hours.

[quote name=‘zmc’ timestamp=‘1320323681’ post=‘125239’]

Last post to be approved yay!!

I just took the plunge to try JaguarPC semi-dedicated service. I’ll be able to see how it all goes whilst I go through the setting up phase and if I have troubles with support etc then it wont matter as much and I can move.

JaguarPC came up time and time again as an exceptional host in the Web Hosting Talk forums and I chatted to sales and finally decided to try them.

I really don’t have time to try and learn how to run a VPS system or learn to ask the right questions. If I was still in the web design business then well I certainly would then, but these days I just want to leave it to the professionals.

Thanks for your help everyone…

Now all I need to do is buy CS-Cart! I am looking at getting a couple of add-ons - should I buy CS-Cart through one of the resellers where I want to get one of my add-ons from?

[/quote]

Hey,

How is JaguarPC semi-dedicated service? I’m look for a semi-dedicated service too.

Thank you

Tom

Hello,

Anyone heard of Eleven2.com hosting company? is this possible for a good hosting server

500GB Storage Space

40,000GB Monthly Bandwidth for $20.00 per month?

Thanks

Tom