Hostgator VPS

Would their level 1 package @ 0.56GHz processor and 384MB of RAM sufficient to run CS-Cart with less than 1,000 products?

I’ve noticed some lag between my shared account with Hostgator lately and was thinking to upgrade to the VPS account. Not sure how the very bottom VPS servers compare.

Forget about it.

If you have CPanel installed with some other extras then you will struggle even with 512MB.

I’m on 720MB

Go with 1GB and this way, your customer won’t have to wait for too long when browsing your website. Whatever you save on memory, you will lose in lost orders due to slow website.

Thanks, I guess level 3 is the minimum? I’ll have to try it out and see how I like it. It’s slow lately and I’m sure it can frustrate so many.

Although I’m relatively familiar with basic networking VPS was a bit overwhelming at first. There are so many controls, just getting the basic firewall and security setup seemed like learning to walk again.

Hostgator has been amazing with their support though, not sure how I would’ve been able to get the site back up and running.

Without so much emphasis on Hostgator, I have to say this, the level III VPS package has made a huge difference coming from a shared account. For my company’s needs it’s worth the initial headache and setup. The speed difference is like night and day. For $50/month can’t beat it. Not having to sit around for the template to load or the site getting stuck momentarily. It’s far from perfect with my current design but working on it everyday.

I did max out the config.local.php memory size to the 768MB limit, gzip’d and making adjustments to images and trying to compress data. Oh the learning curve…

If you’re new to networking I highly suggest going with a company that have 24/7 support. You’re going to need it (unless you’re familiar with this sort of thing). With Hostgator I called up for urgent matters, 90% of the time I just submitted a ticket and was responded within few hours. Initial setup does take few days from the host to setup the server, the name server change (needs at least couple days to propagate) and moving all the files.