Help with Temporary URL / Linking issue

Our web guy who took care of the store, seo, etc. is not longer with us and so I need a little help.

We have version 1.3.5 SP4 and the store has been up since 2008.

Recently we’ve been looking into some of our keywords and in doing so have noticed that nearly all of the returned links in all the major search engines are to our store using the temp url given to us by Inmotion hosting (biz32.inmoitionhosting.com). For example:

[url]http://biz31.inmotionhosting.com/~cookss5/shop/index.php?target=categories&category_id=221[/url]

This link should actually be directed to here: [url]Portable Sawmills and bandsaw blades from Cook's Saw

Inmotion has not been any help up to this point and we need some help.

Thanks,

James

[quote name=‘Chevymetal’]Our web guy who took care of the store, seo, etc. is not longer with us and so I need a little help.

Recently we’ve been looking into some of our keywords and in doing so have noticed that nearly all of the returned links in all the major search engines are to our store using the temp url given to us by Inmotion hosting (biz32.inmoitionhosting.com). For example:

[url]http://biz31.inmotionhosting.com/~cookss5/shop/index.php?target=categories&category_id=221[/url]

This link should actually be directed to here: [url]Portable Sawmills and bandsaw blades from Cook's Saw

Thanks,

James[/QUOTE]

Why should it be directed to 218? 221 is a category and 218 is a separate category.

BTW, why aren’t you using the SEO addon so the url will be by name instead of category ID?

[quote name=‘Chevymetal’]Our web guy who took care of the store, seo, etc. is not longer with us and so I need a little help.

[URL=“http://biz31.inmotionhosting.com/~cookss5/shop/index.php?target=categories&category_id=221”]http://biz31.inmotionhosting.com/~cookss5/shop/index.php?target=categories&category_id=221[/URL]

This link should actually be directed to here: [URL]Portable Sawmills and bandsaw blades from Cook's Saw

Thanks,

James[/quote]

Search Engines need to be notified if you have changed your “domain” -When google and co crawled your website you were using the inmotionhosting.com domain, so they crawled it.

you need to review google webmaster tools to remove the related URLs.

[quote name=‘Tool Outfitters’]Why should it be directed to 218? 221 is a category and 218 is a separate category.

BTW, why aren’t you using the SEO addon so the url will be by name instead of category ID?[/QUOTE]

I just posted the wrong example link of where it should go.

I’m a little at a loss on the SEO addon so I’ll have to dig into it as I can. Thanks for pointing that out.

I only know a little about CS Cart from the fact that I helped put in most of the products in the store originally, but as far as seo, and the behind the scenes type of maintenance, that was in the care of someone else, at least until now.

[quote name=‘JesseLeeStringer’]Search Engines need to be notified if you have changed your “domain” -When google and co crawled your website you were using the inmotionhosting.com domain, so they crawled it.

you need to review google webmaster tools to remove the related URLs.[/QUOTE]

We submitted a new sitemap for the site after the temp url was done away with (actually we’ve done this several times over the years), if that is what you are referring to.

Other than that I’ve been through the Google webmaster tools trying to figure everything out and it is getting crawled regularly (6 minutes ago actually) and I’m still not sure what I’m missing, but from what you’re saying I think I’m not doing something right?

[quote name=‘Chevymetal’]We submitted a new sitemap for the site after the temp url was done away with (actually we’ve done this several times over the years), if that is what you are referring to.

Other than that I’ve been through the Google webmaster tools trying to figure everything out and it is getting crawled regularly (6 minutes ago actually) and I’m still not sure what I’m missing, but from what you’re saying I think I’m not doing something right?[/quote]

Have you ever refreshed the sitemap, if it’s got the old urls then it’ll keep google updated with the incorrect ones.

[quote name=‘JesseLeeStringer’]Have you ever refreshed the sitemap, if it’s got the old urls then it’ll keep google updated with the incorrect ones.[/QUOTE]

I still think there are some things I’m overlooking so I’m not sure I can answer your question with certainty. I know we have done this for our main site (there is a link to the store in the main site) and if from what I’ve been reading it sounds like there is a separate sitemap that should be done for the store?

I’ve sent you a pm since I think at this time it’s best if we have someone like yourself to come in and fix things the way they should be.