Help with setting up a special promotion

I’m a newbie and I’m working on my client’s soon-to-be CS-Cart store. I’m having difficulty setting up their existing promotion.

They have a bonus item promotion that works like this:

If the customer’s pre tax order equals $125.00 they can choose one free item from 10 products.

I do not have a problem setting up the $125.00 parameter, however, I can’t figure out how to set it up so they only can put ONE free item in their cart. On test orders, the customer could conceivably add all 10 free items to their order.

Has anyone set up a similar promotion? Or perhaps you know of how I can achieve this. It seems like it should work but I am definitely missing a key piece of information.

Anybody? I did search prior threads to an answer for this and it seems there wasn’t an option in 2007… It seems like this should be doable. Is it still not an option to have multiple choices for a free item and have the ability for the customer to only select one?

I do not believe this is a capability of the product. How about giving the customer a coupon code that they could then apply to the purchase of one of the 10 items (set the “stop further use” checkbox)? Just guessing…

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’]I do not believe this is a capability of the product. How about giving the customer a coupon code that they could then apply to the purchase of one of the 10 items (set the “stop further use” checkbox)? Just guessing…[/QUOTE]

Was worried about that… not sure the coupon thing would work as the products to choose from for a bonus gift are different values. It would be okay if the choices were all the same price.

I’m trying to think of another way around this still. Hard to believe there wasn’t this option. Thanks for the suggestion EZ Mercant. I appreciate it.

I too have a customer that wants the same thing, any new insights?