Help prevent the image and text thief from taking your stuff

HI …

Deleted by author because apparently it was worthless.

Watermark your images.This is the only true way to prevent theft.

[quote name=‘Triplets’ timestamp=‘1333380891’ post=‘134180’]

Watermark your images.This is the only true way to prevent theft.

[/quote]

I do but as mentioned above some of these ‘other’ businesses are so lazy they would even just copy my pictures with watermarks and would rather spend time editing out the watermark than just to take their own product images.

But the best thing is the code for preventing the highlighting of the text and copy/paste block…so if they want to copy my original text/product descriptions they will have to manually word by word type it.

So people are going to steal…but at least I can make it a little more difficult for them. :grin:

-Tim

Your watermark is way too subtle. I could barely tell it was even there. I like to use the domain name (www.jammaboards.com) across a diagonal.

I could steal your images or text in a second. There a tons of programs on the net that parse through web sites and download all the content to ones local computer. (for example, www.httrack.com)

[quote name='Tim Hensel' timestamp='1333370115' post='134177']

Next and more important I could not stand the unfriendly people from coming in and swiping my professional appearing product descriptions. So again I created another HTML only block on the Product pages and used this code:

I was not sure if this would work or not but it actually works great! Now they cannot hold down the mouse and highlight stuff to Copy-C anymore either!

-Tim H.

[/quote]

I was able to copy your text just by highlighting it and using CTRL-C with no problems.

I was also able to copy your images using Firebug to find the address.

If you find the images used on another site with your watermark (and I agree with Triplets you should make your watermark stand out more and use your company name if not your website address), you need to let them know they are breaching copyright laws. Same goes with your text - if you wrote it, it is your “intellectual property” (at least in Australia) and you therefore own the copyright. If the content isn't removed from the website after you contact the website owner, contact the web host.

Some more worthless information deleted.

Tim,

Since FF allows you to block warnings after 2 attempts, it is pretty easy to right click, get the error, right click again, disable the warnings, then right click again and get the images and stuff.

As for the text, same thing, but just inspect the text element with Firebug and you can just copy whatever you want in a couple of seconds.

While I commend your efforts, this is far from perfect.

Thanks,

Brandon

Well okay I guess that teaches me to post a suggestion in the cs-cart forum. Again I said… never mind.

[quote name='Tim Hensel' timestamp='1333406719' post='134191']

Some more worthless information deleted.

[/quote]

It certainly wasn't useless information - as you had said in the post, it did make things more difficult for people to copy your text and images and not everybody knows about Firebug. It's a bit like having your house locked up - it only deters the honest thieves! If you hadn't posted this to the forum, you wouldn't have known it wasn't working in Firefox and wouldn't have realised there were ways around it. I must admit, from reading the posts, we all did try and prove you wrong but it certainly wasn't done in a nasty way - people were just trying to show you that it wouldn't give you the protection you were thinking it would.

Make sure you keep your copyright mark up to date on your website and contact anybody you find taking your images and text and ask them nicely to remove them as they are your property and subject to copyright. If they ignore you, as I said earlier, contact the website's web hosts. I have done this twice and, in the first instance, the text was removed and in the second instance they changed the wording slightly (although really not enough to make it much different). Make sure you offer exceptional service to your customers and you will come out in front of the people who are trying to imitate your site. Spend your time on your website and service, rather than trying to stop people copying your information - there will always be somebody who can get around these blocks.

I don't think Tim cared for your opinions (despite being true), I'm assuming he just wanted it fixed.

J.

Tim,

I don't think it was useless at all. Like Lyn said, it did make it harder for people. FF has some workarounds like disabling the warnings, but it is much harder in IE.

I don't think any of us were trying to give you a hard time and personally, I think it is great that you put your ideas on here.

Sure, they might not be perfect, but they are better than nothing.

Thanks,

Brandon