Help Me Understand Shippng Before I Go Bonkers!

Hi there, each time I think I understand how shipping works, I find that I don’t really!

My store is Australian, and so I will be mainly catering for Aussie shoppers. I would like to offer the following:

1. a flat postage/shipping rate to all Australian orders
    • With an exception of free shipping to all orders over a certain amount (Australia only)

For international orders, I would prefer that the shopper contact me first for a shipping quote, or perhaps I could offer real-time calculation with Australia post for overseas orders only? Your advice here much appreciated.

The only thing that I have managed to successfully get working is having free shipping be applied if orders are over a certain amount - but I am not sure how to set this for Aussie shoppers only.

Do I need to localize? I’m confused about this. Everytime I attempt to use localization, I lose my categories menu entirely and I get all confused.

Can someone please simplify this process for me? Pretty, pretty, please.

Which version of CS-Cart are you using?

Hi, the latest version sorry, 2.05?

You should be able to do what you want with locations (not localizations). You would need two locations - Australia and the other places you are willing to ship (I always disable the “Default” location because I want more control).

For domestic orders, you can set up you manual flat-rate shipping method with rate established for only Australia. Then you can create a free shipping promotion for orders over a certain amount and limit its use to Australian customers using the “Customer country” condition. The one problem remaining is that the promotion is applied if an Australian customer ordered but provided a shipping address outside Australia. I have not found a way past this - even using the Localizations feature and plan on submitting this as a feature request.

For international orders, you can set up a separate shipping method:

1. using manual - set up rates for only the “other than Australia” location;
  2. using realtime - allow only internation delivery options (if Australia Post is set up this way).

The reason your categories did not show up when you used Localizations is because you have to apply the localization to categories, products, pages, site news and banners.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Wonderful! A great start, and I’ll give it a bash today :slight_smile:

Omg, thank you so much! I have it all worked out thanks to the way you broke it down for me. Yay!

I did try to add realtime shipping for international only with Australia Post but couldn’t get this off the ground - I gather I need an account with australia post first though? Can someone please clarify? In the meantime, I have set it up manually with weight dependencies for all locations other than Australia.

I am happy! Thanks!

Glad I was able to help.

I don’t know the specifics of Australia post, but for UPS & FedEx you do need to register. You might want to look into it.

Bob

You don’t need to register with Australia Post with version 1.3.5, so I presume you don’t have to register with Version 2. The Cart will automatically use the settings from the Australia Post website.

[quote name=‘jobosales’]…The one problem remaining is that the promotion is applied if an Australian customer ordered but provided a shipping address outside Australia. I have not found a way past this - even using the Localizations feature and plan on submitting this as a feature request.[/QUOTE]

This appears to not be the case in 2.0.6. The free shipping promotion is actually restricted by the shipping country.

I am not sure if there has been a change since I first came across this or if I was going bonkers during testing.

Bob

[quote name=‘jobosales’]…The one problem remaining is that the promotion is applied if an Australian customer ordered but provided a shipping address outside Australia. I have not found a way past this - even using the Localizations feature and plan on submitting this as a feature request.[/QUOTE]

This appears to not be the case in 2.0.6. The free shipping promotion is actually restricted by the shipping country.

I am not sure if there has been a change since I first came across this or if I was going bonkers during testing.

Now we just need a way of restricting shipment of items based on shipping address. For instance, we have some items that we do not ship outside the US. There is currently no way to prevent an order being placed for those restricted items if the buyer’s address is in the US and the shipping address is included in a defined Location - that is, the location is legitimate but we just don’t ship certain products outside the US.

I know I saw someone else with this issue with regards to UK store not shipping items to other European countries.

Bob

Thank you very much for all of your advice, and the heads up with doing it this way. I appreciate it. I’ll resurface in here if I have any further issues. Thanks!