Fraudulent Orders

Out of frustration and genuine curiosity I would like to ask the development community what steps you have taken to ensure that you are not victimized when your software products are purchased?

I have had several charge backs costing me ridiculous amounts of money and aggravation.

I was seconds away from posting the offending individuals contact information in another thread as a warning to others to carefully scrutinize your orders for these names. Not sure if that is the right thing to do or even it would have passed moderation but it is certainly frustrating

There are many 3rd party fraud detection/management sites around that will evaluate a person, their IP and their card info against a DB of many internet transactions. Most require use of an iframe and then also a transactional interaction with personal identity info and credit card info.

I've found the biggest bang for the buck is verifying that the IP address used is less than some distance apart (I.e. IP location and address are less than 25mi apart). Also ensure you use AVS checking and of course the CVV of the card. The other is to verify the email address by doing an SMTP connect to ensure it's a valid email address.

I've done an integration for a client to Kount.com which is a pretty expensive solution but like many of these type of things, you many times get what you pay for. I.e. the bigger (and wider spread) their DB of transactions, the better the odds of your being able to detect a fraudulent user.

I believe Jeremy is referring to people paying for addons, then requesting a chargeback from their credit-card company.

[quote name='JesseLeeStringer' timestamp='1366178614' post='160086']

I believe Jeremy is referring to people paying for addons, then requesting a chargeback from their credit-card company.

[/quote]

Right you are.

As a seller this situation is really frustrating and I have had several chargebacks in the past - all from stolen credit card details.

However what you are describing seems a little closer to home and it sounds like it could be forum users? Correct me if I am wrong…

I can assure you if I had a problem with a product I would come to you first and ask you to sort it out, and only if I could not get a response would I even consider instigating a chargeback and then I would give several weeks and emails to ensure you have fair chance to sort the problem out first.

If a description for a product was miles off what was actually offered I would definitely ask for a refund first or for the product to be bought up to the spec of what was advertised and give the seller reasonable time to put right any issues.

I hate chargebacks with a vengeance, they cost me £14 admin fee initially to the gateway, then there's the cost of the goods I have sent, plus the cost of postage - 1 single chargeback last year cost me over £120 and that was without the time I invested in chasing about for delivery reports and information for the payment gateway…

Gutted for you though if it is members on here.

What reason are they giving for the chargeback, if it is they are saying it wasnt them that placed the order then you need to switch on 3d secure or something similar, then all data must match which means the initial card holder/bank is more responsible for the transaction as the details must have been compromised.

I have had many charge backs over the years and the only thing that stops them is 3d secure and not allowing ANY payments which dont match all fields 100%. This has drawbacks though as some people hate 3d secure etc so sometimes we are using a sledghammer to crack a nut but thats for you to decide.

john

I don't experience chargebacks like you are describing. I've done refunds due to an addon not meeting a customer's expectation or is just didn't work out for them. I've probably done 1/2 dozen refunds over the past 12 months due to this.

When a customer requests a refund, I send them removal instructions and ask them to confirm that they have performed those instructions and destroyed any copies of the software. After they attest to that, I refund their money.

I don't think I've ever had a chargeback (knock on wood).

[quote][color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]I was seconds away from posting the offending individuals contact information in another thread as a warning to others to carefully scrutinize your orders for these names.[/font][/color][/quote]

Personally I would post their details in a heartbeat to give everyone else a heads up…

I have no use for people attempting to get something for nothing…aka: “Theft” and have actually banned entire companies from purchasing from our business because of an employee that ordered through there firm and attempted a chargeback simply because they ordered the wrong product and didn't have the integrity to even call us to ask for an exchange.