Forcing Customers To Choose Location At Checkout

I'm trying to figure out the best way to do what I want. I am running a PayPal add-on (PayPal SDK from CS-commerce) that allows customers to skip the checkout process and essentially do most of it through PayPal. The problem I am having is many international customers do not choose their location before hitting the PayPal button. This allows them to select default U.S. shipping options because I have United States as default since 95% of my customers are U.S. based. The developer suggested two solutions but neither really work due to a few issues:

1. Geolocation sounded like the best option so I enabled it but it doesn't really do anything. Customer can click on a link to map where they are but doesn't automatically change the country to where they are. Not sure if that is an option and/or just isn't working on my site?
  2. Option 2 is force the customer to have to select their country. The issue I have with this is United States is way down the list and since most of my customers are from the U.S. I'd like to avoid having to have them scroll way down the list to select their country. I thought maybe I can somehow move the U.S. to the top of the list (is it possible?) but even then, there is a but within CS where it won't let you choose the default first country listed unless you select another country first.

Possible solutions:

1. So am I doing something wrong with the geolocation to make it automatically guess where the customer is and put that in for their country? Or does it not work that way?
  2. Would it be possible to have U.S. towards the top of the country list? And add a "fake country" at the top called something like "Choose your country" so the customer is forced to choose their country?

Open to suggestion on how to achieve this or if there is an add-on that simplifies this during checkout.

Option 2:

Just put a space before the name of the country ( United States) and it will be on top.

Administration -> Shipping and Taxes -> Countries

If you need more countries on top, give 2 or 3 spaces.

Option 2:

Just put a space before the name of the country ( United States) and it will be on top.

Administration -> Shipping and Taxes -> Countries

If you need more countries on top, give 2 or 3 spaces.

That was exactly what I was looking for so thanks! Unfortunately the add-on still allows the customer to move to PayPal without forcing a shipping location first so I am still trying to find a solution. But your answer was a solution to my question so I appreciate it.

That was exactly what I was looking for so thanks! Unfortunately the add-on still allows the customer to move to PayPal without forcing a shipping location first so I am still trying to find a solution. But your answer was a solution to my question so I appreciate it.

You can add "Choose your country" as a country, without shipping rates (or with sky high shipping rates), so customer needs to select another country.

I have the same issue. For this very small percentage of users not from the default location, you don’t want to scare them away showing a crazy shipping costs…

@isitfast do you also have the issue of the “your cart value changed” with some customers? We have this about once per day and people simply can’t checkout then whatever they do…

I haven’t had many problems since I added text right below the “Deliver to” fields saying: Please select your State/Province (above) in order for shipping options to be shown. DO NOT PROCEED WITHOUT FIRST SELECTING YOUR LOCATION AND SHIPPING OPTION.

Thanks that’s kinda what I did now, but sometimes orders still slip through.
It’s also simply not how it should work.

The way I see it used all the time (because I use it a lot myself in other stores), and it was the same in the old default paypal express method that came with cs-cart, is that if the shipping costs changed because of a different location, people would be redirected to the normal checkout page, with name and address fields filled out with their paypal details, and give a notification about the changed shipping costs. The customer could then check out, paying the correct shipping costs.

I explained this to the developer and he’s looking into it now so hopefully he will be able to fix this.

My biggest concern now is that it is crazy how many people don’t have their address correct on PayPal so when they place the order, the wrong shipping address shows up for us. And it creates a world of problems. If I’m lucky, the catch the issue before we ship. But many times customers don’t catch it until we have shipped or when it never shows up a few weeks later.

Hmm yes that is very annoying we don’t seem to have that problem so much.