Fix The Search!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flow,

The only reason why we offered our custom development service in this thread was that several suggestions of paid services had already been posted there. So, if standard CS-Cart search does not suit you, we can offer you our service to change it the way to fully meet your needs.

As regards the quality of standard search, I am afraid, we cannot agree with you. There are three standard ways of searching - “by any of the words”, “by all of the words” and “by the exact phrase”. By making easy code changes you can change this behavior for your site and information about this can be found in our Knowledge Base:

[url]CS-Cart Documentation — CS-Cart 4.15.x documentation

Also there is the “Quick search” add-on in the latest versions. It can help you improve search on your site - [url]CS-Cart Documentation — CS-Cart 4.15.x documentation .

Moreover, we are open to your suggestions on improving the search functionality. All your ideas are highly welcome at UserVoice: [url]http://cscart.uservoice.com/forums/40782-professional[/url]

Hi CS,

That’s why I said the “out-of-the-box” search is bad. I know you can make it ok to good with minor editing, but many people don’t.

Especially new customers will try the search and think: well, that doesn’t work, and move on.

Maybe it’s a good idea to put these option in the admin?

My apologies if I was a bit harsh.

F

Thank you for the reply, Flow.

Your suggestion about adding the search settings option does have merit. We will consider it. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

[quote name=‘orangegirl’]Thank you for the reply, Flow.

Your suggestion about adding the search settings option does have merit. We will consider it. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.[/quote]

And what about my suggestion of creating a search that equals the quality of Google’s “sitesearch”?

They charge $100 per year for small sites. If you build something like that I would much prefer to pay CS Cart.

Traveler,

please post your suggestion to UserVoice [url]http://cscart.uservoice.com/forums/40782-professional[/url]

This service helps us to give an impartial estimation of the necessity to create a certain feature. Any CS-Cart user who is registered on CS-Cart Forums can vote for a feature and offer their own one. The most popular features have good chances to be developed and added to the nearest CS-Cart releases.

[quote name=‘orangegirl’]Traveler,

please post your suggestion to UserVoice [URL]http://cscart.uservoice.com/forums/40782-professional[/URL]

This service helps us to give an impartial estimation of the necessity to create a certain feature. Any CS-Cart user who is registered on CS-Cart Forums can vote for a feature and offer their own one. The most popular features have good chances to be developed and added to the nearest CS-Cart releases.[/quote]

Done - although I respect your skills and was looking for your thoughts…

I tried the “quick Search” addon feature and it’s very slow. I type a keyword and click the button and it takes a few seconds then it display the search result page.

Once I disable the addon and use normal search it’s quick again.

The problem with the built-in search is that even though it can be tweaked, the results still are not as relevant as they should be. My average customer got either too many results to be useful or zero depending on the settings.

The search I’m using is way better than google site search. As I mentioned before, the only disadvantage is that it has to be indexed and the files uploaded whenever there are changes in your store. I have publishers uploading new products on a daily basis but I still only reindex about once a week. It’s free if you have less than 100 pages to index. $49 for up to 500, if I remember correctly. I’m using the $99 version.

[url]http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/[/url]

[quote name=‘ogia’]The problem with the built-in search is that even though it can be tweaked, the results still are not as relevant as they should be. My average customer got either too many results to be useful or zero depending on the settings.

The search I’m using is way better than google site search. As I mentioned before, the only disadvantage is that it has to be indexed and the files uploaded whenever there are changes in your store. I have publishers uploading new products on a daily basis but I still only reindex about once a week. It’s free if you have less than 100 pages to index. $49 for up to 500, if I remember correctly. I’m using the $99 version.

[URL]http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/[/URL][/quote]

Ogia,

Thank you for the suggestion. I will probably buy the $99 version.

[quote name=‘Traveler’]Ogia,

Thank you for the suggestion. I will probably buy the $99 version.[/QUOTE]

Be sure to try out the free version first to make sure it works for you. You’ll only be able to index 100 pages, but it will give you a feel for it.

Good idea.

Another possibility is to build something faster with MySQL full text search which would not require reindexing

Guys - Do you know how to fix the bug that contains my google images not showing up when exporting to google base…

When I submit to google base I find that my images are not transmitting… how do I fix this…

Wow, I sure hope this helps! Since we have upgraded our primary site to 2.1.4 our sales are less than 1/4 of what they were before the upgrade! We knew we lost some links when the upgrade was done, but I didn’t even think about how bad the search stunk until a customer said they were trying to search a phrase and it brought up over 800 products. I was shocked so I started to research and found this thread. I then followed the instructions at…

…and the search works a lot better. It only brings up the 3 items that should be in the search.

The one thing I will say is we should NOT have to hard code something like this. This should be an option in the admin for us to “search” how we want.

I thought it already did in addons edit

See jpg

search.JPG

Hi John, I did find that addon, but I had to have “quick search” installed and running in order for it to work or for me to mess with the settings. I have found the Quick Search addon or “drop down search” from CS just does not work that well. We ended up using the “User Friendly Search” mod from Shipping Kit on a couple of our sites because it worked so much better than what CS had to offer.

The basic search (without the Quick Search addon) is what I was trying to figure out how to change things without having to manually edit the code.

Ahh I see, thx

JOhn

I agree, CS-Cart search is terrible! And all support can do is say “buy support credits so we can tell you that the search works as intended”. i.e. search stinks as intended!

urgent help my quick search results show only categry pages. no index no detail. nothing only show up catalog pages what i have to do ?

I feel your pain. After the last update, I often went back to restore the old version to get the previews & search results back. Hopefully this will be restored in the next update. I anxiously wait.

my problem was comprassion list slider:) i was add another jquery plugin fixed now