Feedback Request : Homepage Done (validated)

Quick feedback request on the home page. Its what I would consider 95% done (still some banner work to do with the right side blocks as the facebook icon is a placeholder for now). No feedback on subpages please, Im just making sure that the homepage displays and functions normally. Im pretty sure this will not look pretty in IE6 and thats ok with me.

[url]http://www.livingcontemporary.com/[/url]

A couple of things I would like to point out:

1. The site is 100% XHTML Validated and CSS validated. This took some work and there are a few side effects although minimal (i.e. Add to Cart buttons on subpages are almost invisible due to the CSS hacks CS-Cart uses to display buttons. I will be replacing them with static images shortly).

[url]http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=www.livingcontemporary.com&charset=(detect+automatically)&doctype=Inline&group=0[/url]

[url]http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=livingcontemporary.com&profile=css21&usermedium=all&warning=1&lang=en[/url]

2. The drop down menu uses the free horizontal menu addon from the forums here.

3. The flash banner in embedded using a nice little swfObject jquery plugin. Its a little slow so Im debating replacing it with something thats purely jquery based. This was done in order to get XHTML validation as “EMBED” is not valid.

4. The custom featured products block (and the top tabs) all use central content blocks in the admin control panel. Adding and removing products works just like you would any other product blocks. The bottom tabs work using pagination.

5. The All Art on Sale Section is just a modified version of the Hot Deals Block. It seems to load extremely slow. This may or may not get replaced. The original layout of the homepage had this stretching the width of the page but it was just not possible to modify this without some serious serious work.

6. The Latest News section is actually linking to my wordpress blog. The news entries are RSS feeds that Im parsing to HTML.

I really need to do some serious page load tweaks. The products in the customized featured products block (and the tabs behind it) all require load during the initial page load, so Ive intentionally dropped each sub tab down to about 4 products for now.

Also a quick thanks to JesseLeeStringer, Roban, Adodric and a few others for the help when I ran into a snag.

Forbidden

You don’t have permission to access / on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Looks great! Loaded pretty fast for me also, didn’t notice any major slow downs.

No problems here also. It’s awesome if I do say so myself.

[quote name=‘Triplex’]Forbidden

You don’t have permission to access / on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.[/QUOTE]

Can I ask where you are located? Ive got GeoIP running and some locations are blocked.

I’ve got a few smarty errors popping up and the site isn’t really loading. I’ve also gone through an anonymiser just in case my region has been blocked, but I’m seeing the same thing.

Warning: Smarty error: unable to read resource: “addons/my_changes/hooks/index/styles.override.tpl” in /home/tirade75/public_html/lib/templater/Smarty.class.php on line 1095

Warning: Smarty error: unable to read resource: “addons/my_changes/hooks/index/styles.override.tpl” in /home/tirade75/public_html/lib/templater/Smarty.class.php on line 1095

Warning: Smarty error: unable to read resource: “addons/my_changes/hooks/index/scripts.override.tpl” in /home/tirade75/public_html/lib/templater/Smarty.class.php on line 1095

Warning: Smarty error: unable to read resource: “addons/my_changes/hooks/index/scripts.override.tpl” in /home/tirade75/public_html/lib/templater/Smarty.class.php on line 1095

[quote name=‘CathyG’]I’ve got a few smarty errors popping up and the site isn’t really loading. I’ve also gone through an anonymiser just in case my region has been blocked, but I’m seeing the same thing.

Warning: Smarty error: unable to read resource: “addons/my_changes/hooks/index/scripts.override.tpl” in /home/tirade75/public_html/lib/templater/Smarty.class.php on line 1095[/QUOTE]

I’m seeing these same errors now.

[quote name=‘adodric’]I’m seeing these same errors now.[/QUOTE]

Im working on some changes, so site might be up and down. Sorry about that.

To be correct Im working on creating css sprites so if any images seem wonky just refresh.

[quote name=‘Tirade’]Im working on some changes, so site might be up and down. Sorry about that.[/QUOTE]

I was hoping that was the cause. Good to hear.

Well, it’s just a gorgeous website - it has to be the best cs-cart site I’ve seen so far.

The site is loading incredibly fast considering I’m based in Australia and I’m sure this is US hosted - I have no idea how you did that.

The only thing I would suggest is that the links at the bottom of the page in white are only slightly too small in terms of the font size - I find them a little difficult to read, although it’s not a major thing and I would only suggest making them 1 point larger (if I was to be really picky about finding something to change). Also, ordinarily I would say that it needs a “search” in the search box, but I have to say that I don’t think this site does - the search bar is intuitive and easily located.

Congratulations on a great website!

Thanks Cathy, I might try some different font types out and see if that makes a difference.

As for the speed, it definitely needs some work. I wouldnt say its a dog but I could easily shave a few seconds off. Google page rank takes page load time into consideration now and as far as I’m concerned if a page takes longer than 10 seconds to load, people wont wait.

OMG your site is the sexeh, lush lush lush i love it…

Just been looking at adding the drop down horizontal menu for our site however I cannot see it on the forums for love nor money, is there any chance of a little direction pretty please.

Im really keen on your whole layout on the front page and looks mint as f%$k :wink:

Thanks, the thread you are looking for with the drop down menu mod is located here [url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/showthread.php?t=11324[/url]

As for my site, Im on travel this week so I wont be able to work on it, but so far other than a few links that dont work, the only other issue Ive heard about is the top search box is a little off in IE7. Should be an easy fix.