fastest way to add products to database

I am trying to figure out the fastest way to add products to the database i have 28,000 plus products to add and need a fast automated way

The best way I have found thus far is add one product export the csv then do a text do column and do fills throughout for each column then type products into the excel document along with prices the remaining is done though including point the images to detailed image and uploading in the appropriate directory

The problem is i do not know if this is the best way for one and secondly after I do text to columns to seperate the data out it gets rid of the delimiter so im having difficulty figuring out how to put the delimiter back so I can import the csv back to the site to upload products

thanks to all who reply

When you export the .csv, use “,” as the seperator, then open excel. Browse to this file in excel and open when asked upon opening for the delimtier choose “,” and also select tab

This will open will all columns in their own correct cells.

Obviously whne saving in excel choose .csv and close the file. \then make sure you select “,” as the seperator when inporting

John

I was able to export then import back in but the products are not showing in the storefront

on my admin panel they show up though not sure why they show properly in my admin panel but not the storefront itself

I suffered the same problem after an import and would hazard a guess at Stock levels being the issue. Unless you defined them when importing, all are set to 0 and, if stock control is enabled, 0 stock products cannot be purchased unless back-ordering is set up.

Try:-

Settings > General

Show out of stock products - check this box and save.

The final step I took was refreshing the cache, then all the products appeared on the front-end. If you do not know how to do this, go to yourdomain.com - the page will reload and clear the cache in one fell swoop. Might not solve the problem for you, but it did for me - I then disabled Inventory as I do not need stock control.

thanks for the insight it did not work for me the box was already checked so i unchecked then rechecked then i even did the clear cache thing no products show on the frontend for me im using the latest version of the software bc i downloaded it a few days back

Start small, check results then go big.

I.e. Use a single row of data (plus correct headers) in your import file and then carefully review the results of importing that single product.

If all looks good, do 10 products the same. Then go do your 28000. Otherwise you're going to fight with the magnitude of the data to find simple problems.

Be careful in Excel. It tries to predict numeric fields like UPC's and when it finds them too long, it will change them to scientific notation. Be sure you do a global setting of your cells to be all formatted as type 'text'.

Currently I am only doing 128

the thing i dont understand all product imports look fine and i see them in my admin panel just not on the storefront

Post a small section of your .csv

John

I don't know why yall think it's a problem with the csv and/or import itself. If he can see the products in admin then the products imported.

The problem is there isn't a category assigned to the products or they are disabled or something to that affect.

[quote name='The Tool' timestamp='1318970296' post='123982']

I don't know why yall think it's a problem with the csv and/or import itself. If he can see the products in admin then the products imported.

The problem is there isn't a category assigned to the products or they are disabled or something to that affect.

[/quote]

Was gonna check if his csv has product disabled or hidden on import.

John

I checked there is a category assigned also it is enabled here is a csv sample

Product code Category List price Price Weight Quantity Min quantity Shipping freight Date added Downloadable Files Ship downloadable Inventory tracking Free shipping Feature comparison Zero price action Thumbnail Detailed image Product name Description Meta keywords Meta description Search words Page title Taxes Features Options Secondary categories Short description Localizations Status

EVG001 Duel Decks///Elves vs Goblins 0.35 0.35 0 0 0 0 10/17/2011 0:00 N N B N N R /home/content/23/8493623/html/images/backup/detailed/EVG_2.jpg#{[EN]:;} Akki Coalflinger

CLICK IMAGE TO VIEW FULL CARD DESCRIPTION

MTGO

Tool is most likely correct. I.e. if the products are importing and visible in admin then it is a setting in the cart that is preventing them from being visible in Admin. Either an inventory setting or a zero price action, etc…

I am still searching for what it can be I have not changed anything and all is set as default

found problem the status was not set to active for whatever reason on the products

for 128 I can do this manually no biggie glad you guys were helpful in insight

still trying to learn and see if i like the software so far so good on my 30 day trial then i will purchase if i can get htis working