Easy way to reconfigure your design and changes after updates

Hi Guys and Gals,

Ive been using a program called Examdiff (http://www.prestosoft.com/edp_examdiff.asp).

It is simply the EASIEST way to fix all your changes when you upgrade and makes it a 15 minute total job that anyone can do without any great knowledge.

It compares the new and old files side by side and highlights all the changes between the files, but better than that, no matter how edited your files have been it always manages to keep the common parts of the files side by side so you can easily see what needs to be copied from one to the other following upgrades where changes have been made.

I often see people complaining about the changes that need to be made after upgrades because of all their modifications and such, try this and it becomes a simple 5 minute per file job.

It is freeware, but to actually edit the files you need to buy the pro version, i usually just open a text editor and copy from examdiff to the text file that I’m changing.

Hope you find it useful because it really is a lifesaving tool.

Byt

That’s a good tip. I’ve been using Notepad++ which has a “compare” tool that does the same thing. Notepad++ is completely free and is a great editor.

If you are on a Windows system try [url]http://winmerge.org/[/url]

It is Free.

WinMerge is an Open Source differencing and merging tool for Windows. WinMerge can compare both folders and files, presenting differences in a visual text format that is easy to understand and handle.

I do not use hooks, because I am not convinced they save you anytime, especially if during an upgrade cs-cart modifies the code withing a hook you are overwriting with your My Changes. Then you do not get the new feature or bug fix.

This is why Winmerge has been a lifesaver during upgrades for me.

Beyond Compare I’ve been using as a trial, Will definetly be purchasing this on payday.

+1

Been using Beyond Compare for the past month or 2 and it is excellent.

I’ve used Beyond Compare in the past and it really is an excellent product. As a matter of fact, I posted this in the forums in October, 2007 and I am sure the product has gotten even better:

[QUOTE]For people running Windows, I cannot recommend Beyond Compare enough. This tool makes quick work of identifying every file which has changed including every line added/deleted and highlighting the specific changes on other changed lines. This is, without a doubt, one of the best $30 you can spend to make upgrades go as smooth as possible, especially if you have modified any of your files.

I wish they made a version for the Mac because I have yet to find anything as simple or thorough as this.[/QUOTE]

Bob