easiest way to move images

I would like to move images from my database to file system. I currently have around 3000 products and the last time i tried it pretty much failed. is there a way that i can do it which will not fail ?

Did you try this using CS-Cart or other cart software, CS should be able to handle this with no problem. Or are you asking how to do it with CS-cart.

no i did it before. using the option in cs cart. To switch from images in the database , to the file system. the last time I tried to move it to the file system it erased all my images!.

gifted - Me too. I am still on 1.3.4, but my images got messed up bad a year or so ago when I tried to change using the admin back-end… some went missing, some attributed to the wrong product, etc., and I only have around 300 products. Couldn’t ever explain why it happened. Additionally, I didn’t do as much of a backup as I should have, and so much time was spent renaming, re-uploading, etc. Never had the time to try again, but would like to…

Thoughts from anyone?

FYI and update…

I just switched from DB to file system yesterday from within Admin/Settings… ta-da! Seems to have worked fine this time. I made sure file permissions on /images and folders below it were 777, and within seconds, my smallish collection of images was transferred. I have yet to see any problems. (Except that the file names themselves are not very descriptive, but from now on they will be.)

Now to update my sitemaps, and make sure all security risks are kept in check with the new permissions. (Anyone know where my original post about file permissions went?)

Best wishes.

[quote name=‘wwgreen’]FYI and update…

I just switched from DB to file system yesterday from within Admin/Settings… ta-da! Seems to have worked fine this time. I made sure file permissions on /images and folders below it were 777, and within seconds, my smallish collection of images was transferred. I have yet to see any problems. (Except that the file names themselves are not very descriptive, but from now on they will be.)

Now to update my sitemaps, and make sure all security risks are kept in check with the new permissions. (Anyone know where my original post about file permissions went?)

Best wishes.[/QUOTE]

how many images did you have? my site has 1000’s already. i might give it a shot tonight after a good backup

gifted - Maybe 350-400 high-res, + the 350-400 150x100 thumbnails. Small in comparison to most, I’m sure. Still, it seemed to work fine despite what happened before to me.

I backed up entire site with an ftp program and also backed up using Store Manager. Both of which I have used before to restore in times of crisis. :smiley:

Also have to play with filenames to see what can be done about that, for example the “product_image_491.jpg” type name must blow for SEO/indexing.

I use the manufacturers part number for the pic and the name of the product for the Alt text.

Ok I just did a good backup. Took two Tums and selected to move everything over.

It took less then 45 seconds and now my site is probably 3 times as fast now!.. please feel free to check my site in my Sig if you want to take a look.

it was too easy!

gifted - Good to hear. Best wishes to you in the future.

I can only assume that in my case, my original problems were caused by an earlier revision of CS, and that later SP2 or SP3 versions helped to solve the problem. Still running with no image discrepancies that I can see.