duplicate meta descriptions

hello,

google detects that I have duplicate meta descriptions on catalog.php, index.html, sitemap.html, /,etc. I’ve read different opinions and methods but finally I am a little bit confused as I am not very experienced in this field.

Could you please be so nice to explain me what exactly should I do: where to put and should I put noindex? How to choose only / and disable index.php? I am using 2.0.8 and don’t want to upgrade if it is not matter of live and dead…

Thank you in advance!

Meta descriptions are worthless in the eyes of Google, while meta keywords are given little significance.

I really wouldn’t lose any sleep over this, it’s a non-issue

[quote name=‘matt5409’]Meta descriptions are worthless in the eyes of Google, while meta keywords are given little significance.

I really wouldn’t lose any sleep over this, it’s a non-issue[/quote]

Maybe and maybe not. It’s thruth that it’s not a issue, but anyway it will not help your site by the ranking and targeting.

Example #1:

Site title: The best of green colors is green.

Meta keywords: best green color

Meta description: One of the best green colors is the color which is green

Example #2:

Meta description: Make money online easy

What do you think which example wil rank higher for a serch term “green color”?

:rolleyes:

i see your point - you could leave meta fields empty as a quick fix

[quote name=‘matt5409’]i see your point - you could leave meta fields empty as a quick fix[/quote]

Yes, it’s a quick solution, anyway I would recommend to use your key phrase on the begin of the title and in the meta keyword field. The meta description could be empty; the crawler will use as description an excerpt of your body text.

[quote name=‘indy0077’]Maybe and maybe not. It’s thruth that it’s not a issue, but anyway it will not help your site by the ranking and targeting.

Example #1:

Meta description: One of the best green colors is the color which is green

Example #2:

Meta description: Make money online easy

What do you think which example wil rank higher for a serch term “green color”?

:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Meta Descriptions are not used in ranking whatsoever. neither are meta keywords. The advantage you gain by putting a meta description is that it will generally choose it to show on your listing on the SERP.