Duplicate Categories?

Man … I need this

Bump.

I really need to be able to Clone a Category. This will save about 4 hours work each time I add a new cat.

The Cats are used to group products that are suitable to be used with Cell Phones and 3G/4G modems. Since first posting, I have many more products.

Each time an Internet Service Provider releases a new Modem or Cell Phone or Router to their range, I need to create a new category for that product. The ISP's “product” becomes my “category”

see wireless-broadband-speed.com.au

Now, some cats have 26 products assigned to them as secondary categories.

At present I need to

a. Create a new category and define the meta data and images etc. … that easy

b. Go thru 26 products, and aassign to each product the new “secondary category” … time consuming

c. Go to this new cat's page and display all the products under it, then define the display order for all these products. Even tho I have set up the “base products” position as I want, these positions are lost when in the new cat.

AND

d. Do all this again because each ISP's product is categorized in two ways, Make/Model and ISPs Branding.

Some customers will search for “Sierra 320U modem” others will identify this device by the Telco's branding “Telstra Ultimate 4G modem”

… by this time I am dying !

Now if I could just clone an existing category, (and its sub-cats would be handy) retaining the products assigned to it , the order of the products and then the job would be simple: ie

a. Create a new category and define the meta data and images etc.

b. Clone it again and change the root cat and name. … thats it !

I hope that makes sense. If anyone is interested I will looking to get someone to code this, maybe the cscart custom dev team.

Ive received a quote from the csCart custom development team for a “Clone Categories” Mod.

At US400 … it's quite expensive, as IMHO this should be standard cscart functionality once developed.

If anyone is interested in sharing the cost please PM me or post your interest here.

The mod (v2.1.4) would provide the ability to [CLONE] a category, its Parent cat remaining assigned.

All Products assigned to the donor cat will also be assigned to the [CLONE] cat as secondary categories.

Any Child cats will also be cloned, with replicated product assignments.

If any products are assigned to the donor Cat as the Product's Main Category, then this product will be assigned to the [CLONE] cat as a secondary cat.

Man… thats a mind-twister… hope it makes sense.

Anyone interested in donating to the cost? Not sure how to go about controlling the donations… suggestions welcome.