Dumb Question

Im confused on the difference between list price and price…

Is price how much it cost me to make the product and list price is how much I want to seel it retail? Or is it the other way around? :oops:

List price is the recommended retail price your manufacturers wants you to have for your customers. Price is your price you want to set for your customers.

Example:

List price: $50

Our price: $30

You save: $20

[quote name=‘Zyles’]List price is the recommended retail price your manufacturers wants you to have for your customers. Price is your price you want to set for your customers.

Example:

You save: $20[/QUOTE]

If you go into Administration → Languages,

search for “list_price” from down the bottom, then change it to “retail price”

I have a few business partners that would be otherwise lost if it wasn’t changed

hope this helps

[quote name=‘Zyles’]List price is the recommended retail price your manufacturers wants you to have for your customers. Price is your price you want to set for your customers.

Example:

You save: $20[/QUOTE]

What if I am the manufacturer? Should I even bother with this? Should I put in how much it cost me to make it so that I can track my profite or something?

[quote name=‘JosiahW’]What if I am the manufacturer? Should I even bother with this? Should I put in how much it cost me to make it so that I can track my profite or something?[/QUOTE]

Do you have any retailers selling your product?

Nobody forces you to use it. You don’t have to. But it gives the impression of your customers that they are saving money by shopping at your store.

If the normal retail price (list price) is $50 for a product in a normal store. And your store has a price of $30. You simply show them:

Retail price: $50

Which gives the impression that it is cheaper at your store and they save money. Now everyone might be selling the product for $30 everywhere, however the manufacturer wants it to be $50.

It’s just marketing. :wink:

Ok thank you very much that clears things up.

I thought that list price was a private item, so how can our visitors know about it?

I really don’t understand the matter of this feature :S

Any private information like manufacturer prices, import costs etc. should be kept in your bookkeeping program and/or your office not online on your ecommerce store.

[url]http://www.answers.com/list+price&r=67[/url]

Hi Guillem,

It’s an excellent feature that I use a lot and will use even more alongside cscarts discounts feature.

For example I sell a range of products from 2 suppliers. I retails all these products 10% less than the Recommended Retail Price (RRP or List Price in cscart). This is a big competitive advantage for me.

With cscart all I need to do is set the Price field at the Recommended Retail Price and then set up a 10% discount thru the discounts area on cscart and it automatically displays as 10% off the List (RRP) Price on the product details page. I dont have to manually set the price for every product- it is automatic and easily set up and changed. I can even set an expiry date so the Price reverts back at a set date. The other tie in feature is the ads section. I can whip up a small banner add that says something like 10% of all XXXX products until xx/xx/xx.

These are great features and are easily set up and maintained. Thanks to cs cart for doing this so well. It make me think cscart has been designed with a lot of USER input - by people who are actually using the software every day to run their business.

The only improvements I would suggest in the next release is that the list price is coded to appear on the products pages not just the product page as customers have to drill down too far to see it (I think I saw a 3rd party quick fix for this somewhere on the forum). Also that the ad/banner graphic be linked via url to a searched range of products - currently a single url.

I came to conclusion that this is also called MSRP.

“The (manufacturer’s) suggested retail price (MSRP or SRP), list price or recommended retail price (RRP)”

As seen on: [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suggested_retail_price[/url]

If anyone is still confused.

Sorry but I still cannot understand the function of that item.

Let’s say I buy a product called ZZZ for 30$ and I want to sell it for 40$. What would be the list price? I guess it should be 30$, isn’t it?

Luthien, from what you say, I can imagine than you set all the prices to the retail price and you apply % discounts in order to manage your benefits rates, don’t you? It seems a clever way to deal with lots of products. I’ll put an eye on that.

Thanks

[quote name=‘guillem’]Let’s say I buy a product called ZZZ for 30$ and I want to sell it for 40$. What would be the list price? I guess it should be 30$, isn’t it?[/QUOTE]

No…

I cannot explain more specific than I already did, and Wikipedia pretty much says it all.

Someone else give it a try, if you can. :wink:

[quote name=‘guillem’]Sorry but I still cannot understand the function of that item.

Let’s say I buy a product called ZZZ for 30$ and I want to sell it for 40$. What would be the list price? I guess it should be 30$, isn’t it?

[/quote]

The list price is the SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE… and has nothing to do with your cost prices, as mentioned you dont enter your COST prices anywhere in CS-Cart.

Lets say you buy ZZZ for $30 and want to sell it for $40

If you have not been supplied with a Recommended Retail Price by your supplier have a look at Retail outlets such as superstores etc and base your list price on that…

So your list price could be anything to signify your competitions prices

i.e List Price $49.00 - Our Price $40.00 therefore your customer saves $9.00 over the suggested retail price or over a selection of your competitiors.

Thats the only way to explain it, and I know im repeating what others have said but surely you now understand this ???

Its there to let you tell your customers what the price SHOULD be and that you are cheaper !!! If of course you are !!!

Go into languages and search for List Price and CHANGE it,

reasons being is that it confuses the **** outta visitors, I’ve had more then one email asking what it was only for me to reply that it’s the RRP

(Recommended Retail Price) so… I changed it

Plain and simple.

List Price - “Everyone else sells at this expensive price”

Price - “I sell at this price”

[quote name=‘SWS’]Its there to let you tell your customers what the price SHOULD be and that you are cheaper !!! If of course you are !!![/QUOTE]

What makes me doubt is that the List Price is not been shown in public pages although I’ve set it in all products. I undesrtand it is the price it should be sold, but since it is not public I cannot figure up whats his reason.

Thanks and sorry to be so tedious :slight_smile:

It should be shown if your price is different to the list price.

If theyre the same, then theres no point in showing it.

If its not showing you may need to check your .tpl files.

[URL=“http://www.car-audio-accessories.co.uk/mutant-xxx-mono-block-power-amplifier-p1741.html”]http://www.car-audio-accessories.co.uk/mutant-xxx-mono-block-power-amplifier-p1741.html[/URL]

This shows other stores prices as List Price :

and my price…

[quote name=‘SWS’]It should be shown if your price is different to the list price.[/QUOTE]

If the prices are not different, or the customer is not saving money (List < Price)

Then the ‘you save’ will not be available. The prices must be different for this to show.

I finally got it. I now realise what is the list price. All my list prioces were lower than my prices, so I could not figure up how was it working.

Thank you all folks