Downloadable products question

Can anyone tell me if Version 3 allows downloadable product files to be hosted on a different server than the store? I have several 100 files that are 300-600 megabytes each and I cannot host them on the same server as my store. I know 2.2.4 does not allow downloadable files to be hosted on a different domain, but not sure if that limitation also exists in 3.0.

Thanks

That's a very good question. I'd like to know too.

Yes you can upload or link to a file via URL

cs-cart v3 doesn't support external link for downloadable products.

Really? It looks like it does & I think I just did it.

I think @cscartrocks is correct. You can reference (download) the file from a URL, but the file is “served” from the store only. Unless of course this changed with V3, but I don't think that functionality was changed in V3 to this point.

Here is why I wonder:

I added a file to a product using the Local, Server, URL selections that are standard for CS-Cart and added the URL to the file on another domain I control. (You can also select Local, Server, or URL for the 'Preview' of the file.)

The file does not exist on the store's domain.

I made the product 'Downloadable'.

I purchased the product thru a user account, viewed the 'Downloads' on the My Account menu and downloaded the file to my local PC.

IF the file is first copied to the store's domain, I can't find it on the server (I would imagine it could be in the var/downloads directory in one of the 828 subdirectories). There is no record of the actual file in the store's raw access logs.

From my experience (with images only) when you use the “URL” for the location, it will actually download the file to the server. In the case of images, the directory is /images/detailed/.

You are right.

When selecting URL for the location of the file, the file is downloaded to the CS-Cart var/downloads directory and served from there.

A sub-directory named by the Product ID is created and the file defined in the URL is written inside.

At least I now know that all the sub-directories in the downloads folder are not needed and I deleted them. They will be created when a file is added to a product.

Can anyone tell me where to find the community version to download?

[quote name='Magpie Don' timestamp='1365175756' post='159426']

You are right.

When selecting URL for the location of the file, the file is downloaded to the CS-Cart var/downloads directory and served from there.

A sub-directory named by the Product ID is created and the file defined in the URL is written inside.

At least I now know that all the sub-directories in the downloads folder are not needed and I deleted them. They will be created when a file is added to a product.

[/quote]One workaround would be a download manager for cscart. It seems a few big companies make you download things via a download manager app. Does this already exist? I'd be wiling to buy a add-on that did this

[quote name='bjm@catholicism.org' timestamp='1371494604' post='163814']

One workaround would be a download manager for cscart. It seems a few big companies make you download things via a download manager app. Does this already exist? I'd be wiling to buy a add-on that did this

[/quote]

Any detailed requirements?

[quote name='The Tool' timestamp='1365171679' post='159415']

From my experience (with images only) when you use the “URL” for the location, it will actually download the file to the server. In the case of images, the directory is /images/detailed/.

[/quote] Any solution to this? I just signed up for amazon s3 and it's still copying files onto my website instead of just linking it. There should be a way to do this without having to edit code!

I found out how it works with amazon S3…

Go to CDN settings which is under administration/storage

Then you enter your key and and secret key. It will mirror all your download items to amazon and future ones…

Down side is it is wholesale. You can't pick and choose individual items…

Note I have not tried it yet. I was told how it works.

I presume you have to enable CDN settings on your amazon account. There is youtube video to show you how.

Let me know if you try it or not.