Domain forwarding with Godaddy

Hi all, my apologies if this isn't the right forum.

I recently registered a domain with Godaddy and am trying to redirect the address to an existing site, but haven't been successful. I've followed their directions to setup URL forwarding (and am certain I haven't made an error) but the address still points to a “website coming soon” page which is hosting on the same account (came with domain name). I am afraid of disabling the hosting service in case it isn't reversible, and would like to keep it there for storage in future. But the account being active seems to be conflicting with the URL forwarding.

I have made an enquiry to Godaddy, and they've sent a detailed (but unfortunately unhelpful) response which was mostly a replica of the FAQ page.

So just wondering if anyone's ever faced a similar problem, used forwarding with Godaddy or have an idea on what may correct the problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2 things, one have you tried to update your name servers to your current domain host and “park” the domain name on your server…

if not—

Create a .htaccess file with the below code, it will ensure that all your directories and pages of your new domain will get correctly redirected to your existing domain.

The .htaccess file needs to be placed in the root directory of your new website (i.e the same directory where your index file is placed)

Options +FollowSymLinks

RewriteEngine on

RewriteRule (.*) Parked at Loopia [R=301,L]

REPLACE www.newdomain.com in the above code with your actual domain name.

hope this helps