Does CS Cart provide update, patch, fix support for older version of shopping cart?

Hi Community Members, right now CS Cart is preparing to release Version 3, now if I want to stick with Version 2 do I get update, hot fix, patch in future? I mean like Service Pack for Windows. If so how long. Any help will be much appreciated :grin: :grin: .

I am pretty sure there is never going to be a another 2.x update. They have moved on to the 3.x architecture.

David

Yep, I'm sure David is correct. The only things that were ever released for prior version were a couple of security patches, but that was it. When CS moves on, they move on and don't really do much with past stuff. I'm sure this will be the same way when 3.0 is released.

Thanks,

Brandon

Dear David and Brandon thanks for the quick reply. First and far-most I always believe that business cannot adopt new technology as they are released, and also it is not recommended to do so because it may do more harm than good, please do not mistake me, I'm not against technological advancement, in fact new release always comes with better feature, but before adopting those technology one must fully test those technology in the light of one's business needs, that's said, I feel CS Cart must adopt clear policy of supporting previous product, in my opinion at-lest for 5 years, since we pay for update subscription it is not much to ask.

[quote name='Sateesh Patil' timestamp='1332925519' post='133946']

Dear David and Brandon thanks for the quick reply. First and far-most I always believe that business cannot adopt new technology as they are released, and also it is not recommended to do so because it may do more harm than good, please do not mistake me, I'm not against technological advancement, in fact new release always comes with better feature, but before adopting those technology one must fully test those technology in the light of one's business needs, that's said, I feel CS Cart must adopt clear policy of supporting previous product, in my opinion at-lest for 5 years, since we pay for update subscription it is not much to ask.

[/quote]

I think David and Brandon agree with you, they're just stating it's probably not going to be like that. CS-cart sees 2.24 as a stable release. I think they could and maybe should release 2.25 for everyone who does not want to go to 3 yet, but then again, 2.24 is running really stable.

I will wait at least 6 months before I even start thinking about moving to 3.

Yep, I'm not saying to upgrade any time soon. I'll probably be just like Flow and wait 6 months before I upgrade.

CS-Cart will happily support older version, but you'll have to pay for that support. This is, of course, just my opinion, but I'm going to bet that I'm correct.

Thanks,

Brandon

Respected Community Members, thanks for quick reply. Now I got totally correct picture about shopping cart software. Here I have listed them for members perusal.

1. If after purchasing shopping cart you have invested heavily on design and customization never go for upgrade unless your budget permit or situation call for it.
  2. If you are low on budget and do not know what HTML, CSS, PHP means better stick to the built-in template and never change any code, when update come just test it on local-host and apply it to online store. If any major upgrade comes just test it well on local-host, if it doesn't suite your business needs stick with old version.
  3. Meddle with code only if you know what your are doing or be prepared for the worst.

Any further amendment for the list by learned members are welcome.

Hah, that all sounds about right. I would make a couple of additions though.

If you don't have the money for a coder, don't be afraid to play with stuff on a dev environment. Learn the code and how the cart functions. If you have questions, the forum and the knowledgbase are great places to get answers. As long as you are just messing with things on a dev store, you have nothing to worry about.

Don't change the code on your live site without being 100% it will work.

Thanks,

Brandon