Do you offer PayPal as one of your payment methods?

I am pretty frustrated with PayPal right now – not having anything to do with the CS-Cart software.

I am wondering how beneficial it is to sales of a cart site to offer it as one of the payment methods.

I am going to offer credit cards soon, (only PayPal now) but wonder if I would then lose sales to some that only will buy using PayPal?

We do, 5% of total transactions → Imo not worth the time setting up.

[quote name=‘Len Backus’]I am pretty frustrated with PayPal right now – not having anything to do with the CS-Cart software.

I am wondering how beneficial it is to sales of a cart site to offer it as one of the payment methods.

I am going to offer credit cards soon, (only PayPal now) but wonder if I would then lose sales to some that only will buy using PayPal?[/QUOTE]

You truly should offer it as an additional payment method Len.

I would say 25-30% of our total orders are paid via Paypal Express Payments, even alot of our B2B transactions will be paid via Paypal.

[quote name=‘Len Backus’]I am pretty frustrated with PayPal right now – not having anything to do with the CS-Cart software.

I am going to offer credit cards soon, (only PayPal now) but wonder if I would then lose sales to some that only will buy using PayPal?[/QUOTE]

1 out of 5 transactions or so go with paypal on my store. Depending on your product you should offer it if you are in the States. Most people have Paypal because of Ebay so there really is no reason not to offer it. I don’t think you can throw out some broad statement and say it is not worth setting up. It’s very subjective and greatly depends on your location and what you are selling…

Jesse types faster than I do…:frowning:

Interesting that you rcvd two entirely different recommendations though!

Alot will depend upon your target market for your products, if you mostly sell b2c, then I think it will be foolish to not offer Paypal. Our customer base is more like 60% b2b, 40% b2c, however, more businesses are actually using Paypal to make payments nowadays.

Simple strategy we follow, “Never make it difficult for your customers to buy your products”, it is actually funny to me how many businesses don’t follow this.

Well I’ve just started out and 95% of our transactions are on paypal. I do offer payment over the phone (using our credit card machine) but out of the last 30 orders (thats all i’ve had on cs cart at the moment) only 1 or 2 have taken the offer. I will offer card payment later (when i have the time to set it up) but for now paypal does that as well for me if needed.

I would most probably always take it as a way of payment as some people prefer to pay that way although i can see why merchants ditch it due to chargebacks.

[QUOTE]although i can see why merchants ditch it due to chargebacks.[/QUOTE]

What do you mean?

[QUOTE] Our customer base is more like 60% b2b, 40% b2c[/QUOTE] How much business do you think you would lose if you didn’t offer PP.

We are a hunting/shooting site. Even though we don’t use PayPal to sell guns or ammunition, we have those items on our site. PayPal has recently told us they are going to drop us because of the existence of those items on our site.

It’s a little more complicated than that but the jist of it is that we will almost certainly have to drop PP.

[quote name=‘Len Backus’]What do you mean?

How much business do you think you would lose if you didn’t offer PP.[/quote]

Customer A = I got the product, no issues = No Chargeback

Customer B = I got the product but it sucks = Chargeback

Customer C = I never go the product = Chargeback.

I dunno, but PayPal come across as “stupid merchant” these days, aka don’t have enough professionalism to consider actual credit-card processing on site, sure it’s a dog eat dog world, but I wanna eat :wink:

[quote name=‘Len Backus’]We are a hunting/shooting site. Even though we don’t use PayPal to sell guns or ammunition, we have those items on our site. PayPal has recently told us they are going to drop us because of the existence of those items on our site.[/quote]

I will guarantee you that business will go up once you included a dedicated Credit-card processor into your store. I’m not all that far away from you so at least I know the customer base :wink:

[quote name=‘Len Backus’]It’s a little more complicated than that but the jist of it is that we will almost certainly have to drop PP.[/quote]

Drop it like it’s hot

[QUOTE]How much business do you think you would lose if you didn’t offer PP.[/QUOTE] Goes back to my other comment, never make it difficult for your customers to purchase your products… However, sounds like you should just focus on finding alternative payment methods to replace Paypal of which there are others out there & new ones popping up!

[QUOTE]We are a hunting/shooting site. Even though we don’t use PayPal to sell guns or ammunition, we have those items on our site. PayPal has recently told us they are going to drop us because of the existence of those items on our site.

It’s a little more complicated than that but the jist of it is that we will almost certainly have to drop PP.[/QUOTE]

And yes, I agree with Jesse in that you most likely need to drop Paypal and move on, sounds as if you are definately in the crosshairs of their laser site (get my pun Len, lol)! And, also as Jesse states, you definately do need a standard credit card gateway setup in this day & age, gotta have it! I also wanted to point out that someday down the road, after Paypal has sorta forgotten about you, you can always reconsider adding Paypal as another payment method, if you even feel as if you need them…

[quote name=‘JesseLeeStringer’]Customer A = I got the product, no issues = No Chargeback

Customer B = I got the product but it sucks = Chargeback

Customer C = I never go the product = Chargeback.

I dunno, but PayPal come across as “stupid merchant” these days, aka don’t have enough professionalism to consider actual credit-card processing on site, sure it’s a dog eat dog world, but I wanna eat :wink:

I will guarantee you that business will go up once you included a dedicated Credit-card processor into your store. I’m not all that far away from you so at least I know the customer base :wink:

Drop it like it’s hot[/QUOTE]

jesse he can also offer e checks as a payment method quickbooks handles that service

[quote name=‘lawnmowertech’]jesse he can also offer e checks as a payment method quickbooks handles that service[/quote]

Sure can but that depends on the trust principal before sending goods, otherwise there’s a significant delay in sending the products.