Discount based on previous purchase

I have not seen any documentation for this so I thought I’d ask here.

I have a situation where we sell downloadable software. What I want to do is offer my customers a discount automatically based on a previous purchase.

So for instance if I sell Software version 1.0 at full price and then we release a new version 2.0 that is not a free upgrade I would like to automatically charge my previous 1.0 customers a 50% discount (or upgrade fee) on the 2.0 version.

Has anyone figured out how to so this?

That’s funny. I am looking for exact the same thing today !!!

Was trying to add it to Promotion, but cannot find a way to ‘select’ customers who have ordered a certain product code before.

Hope someone has a bright idea ! :-)

How about you add a promo for them who buy product A, automatically get a coupon added to their cart that gives 50% off product B (if it gets released of course)

It would be a cart promotion of condition “products in” (choose the product you want)

then bonus would be discount on product, then chooose the product you want to give them the discount.

Thanks

john

[quote name=‘johnbol1’ timestamp=‘1318956154’ post=‘123959’]

How about you add a promo for them who buy product A, automatically get a coupon added to their cart that gives 50% off product B (if it gets released of course)

It would be a cart promotion of condition “products in” (choose the product you want)

then bonus would be discount on product, then chooose the product you want to give them the discount.

Thanks

john

[/quote]

That would assume you know up front that you are going to have a next version with a discount. Usually, one doesn’t.

I solved it for now, but in a very unsatisfactory way, i.e. mostly manual :-(

I made a special User Group, did a query on the users that bought Product A, and then added them manually to that User Group (called ‘Product A’).

Now I make a promotion for Product B, giving a Cart Discount when the buyer is a member of User Group ‘Product A’.

It works, but there must be a better way.

What I miss is the ability to do bulk updates of users specifically, and update a specific field at each of them.