Design - Site Layout is Frozen

Design - Site Layout is Frozen

I have several paragraphs currently on my site and all was well until 2.0.14.

Now I cannot edit (add or delete text) and I have tried with and without the editor.

My only clue is that where it says “Path:” below the text box when using the editor it used to have the letter “P” I think? which is not there now and I cannot add it.

Meanwhile while I am fixing this problem which template can I use to manually make text changes?

I have the same issue… Not sure if this has to do with caching but it just happened out of the blue… What’s your host?

Not sure why this is happening but you can change the message in Content->Languages - search for ‘text_welcome’.

Bob

[quote name=‘gugga7’]I have the same issue… Not sure if this has to do with caching but it just happened out of the blue… What’s your host?[/quote]

Gugga7,

WiredTree is my host.

My editor works on other pages just not the “welcome area” so it is unlikely to be a host issue.

Please try Bob’s suggestion (which did not work for me) and report back.

Bob,

Thank you I shall give welcome languages a try.

Pause - no that does not work.

I removed a line of text in the normal editor area and it did not go away or change on the site. Then i went to the languages area and it was removed but still on the site and in the editor text box.

[quote name=‘Traveler’]I removed a line of text in the normal editor area and it did not go away or change on the site. Then i went to the languages area and it was removed but still on the site and in the editor text box.[/QUOTE]

Clear your template cache. I just tried this and it works.

Bob

[quote name=‘jobosales’]Clear your template cache. I just tried this and it works.

Bob[/quote]

I tried:

&cc after the address

to clear the template on my admin home page and it did not help.

Note, I have never had this problem before 2.0.14.

Is it time for a bug report?

Strange - works for me in 2.0.14. When you change the language variable you are updating the database so if it ‘sticks’ in language variables, you should see the change in the storefront.

When you cleared cache, did you add ‘&cc’ to the base admin URL (YOURDOMAIN/admin.php). You have to use ‘?cc’ for the base admin URL (only add ‘&cc’ to URLs which contain ‘?dispatch’). If this does not work, try to manually clear /var/compiled.

Bob

[quote name=‘jobosales’]Strange - works for me in 2.0.14. When you change the language variable you are updating the database so if it ‘sticks’ in language variables, you should see the change in the storefront.

When you cleared cache, did you add ‘&cc’ to the base admin URL (YOURDOMAIN/admin.php). You have to use ‘?cc’ for the base admin URL (only add ‘&cc’ to URLs which contain ‘?dispatch’). If this does not work, try to manually clear /var/compiled.

Bob[/quote]

Ok, now I am making progress I need to test some more - thank you sir!

Possibly I have never cleared my cache properly before…

After testing I find:

1. I make a change in the text box and click save.

2. No changes happen on the website and teh changes vanish from the text box.

3. I then clear the cache with &cc on the site layout page.

4. The changes show up in the text box and website.

5. “try to manually clear /var/compiled” I am not clear about this as I see several folders there - which one and what do I do?

[quote name=‘Traveler’]After testing I find:

1. I make a change in the text box and click save.

2. No changes happen on the website and teh changes vanish from the text box.

3. I then clear the cache with &cc on the site layout page.

4. The changes show up in the text box and website.

5. “try to manually clear /var/compiled” I am not clear about this as I see several folders there - which one and what do I do?[/QUOTE]

If the changes show up after you clear the cache, you don’t need to manually clear the compiled templates. If the cache does not clear after you add ‘&cc’ to the URL, then you can just delete all folders under /var/compiled - these are rebuilt as pages are visited.Or, since this change should only affect the storefront, you could just delete /var/compiled/customer.

Bob

I now can make changes to the welcome text if I clear the cache.

Thank you.

How did this happen and how do I fix the problem?

Hard to say how it happened. The one possibility that I can think of is if you installed zeke’s new caching system and did not get the cache cleared properly. I would not worry about it unless it happens again.

Bob

[quote name=‘jobosales’]Hard to say how it happened. The one possibility that I can think of is if you installed zeke’s new caching system and did not get the cache cleared properly. I would not worry about it unless it happens again.

Bob[/quote]

Yes,

I did install his new system but it did not help my site or hurt it until perhaps now.

Thank you for your help.

I also noticed that zekes revised cache system interferes with customize/translation mode.

Sounds like an idea before its time and we may have to revert - although I am not sure how…

You can revert by restoring the original class.registry.php file in /core then clearing your template cache.

Bob

[quote name=‘jobosales’]You can revert by restoring the original class.registry.php file in /core then clearing your template cache.

Bob[/quote]

Thank you.

Reverting done and the problem is gone.

Nothing fixed for me, I deleted the cache, added the &cc everytime, it doesn’t work… We know it’s not a server issue since we use different providers.

In addition to the Site Layout being frozen, now I can’t update/delete teh Product features. I have hundred of values for each product features (Manufaturer is listed as a feature in my setup). Is anyone experiencing this issue as well?

Now I manually go to my admin homepage and add ?cc and hit enter. Sometimes this seems to work and other times a rewrite kicks in that sends me to the first page of my website.

The same for admin page other than my index page when using &cc

I wonder how often should I clear my cart?

The best way?

If I look at var/compile/ - admin or customer or mail should all folders be empty after clearing the cache?

Can I 100% safely delete the admin, customer and mail folders?

If you are appending “&cc”, you must use a url that contains “?dispatch”. If you are at the admin index (your admin.php) you should use “?cc”. When you recheck the directories there will be a few items in /var/cache and /var/compiled/admin since pages were immediately visited after clearing the cache. However, /var/compiled/customer should be empty or non-existent.

And, yes, you can safely delete the entire contents of /var/compiled and /var/cache - they are automatically regenerated as pages are visited.

Bob