Dependent lists and frames

I have seen two CS-Cart sites that have features I would really like. One is a dependent list where the second list populates according to a selection in the first list and then when you click on your choice in the second list it links to a separate page.

The other feature involves using frames.

What I want to do is to have the dependent list in a sidebox on my site and the relevant link to open in a separate frame on my site.

When looking at the source of both of these sites, they both have “mod by Shane” in the comments.

Does anyone have any idea where these mods have come from (i.e. who is Shane?) or can someone point me in the right direction as to where I could get these mods. Is this something I should contact CS-Cart to do for me.

Thanks in anticipation of any replies.

Are they the same person?

[url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/showthread.php?t=6432[/url]

Can you share the links to these sites?

Do you mean something like this?

[url]http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex16/chainedselects/index.htm[/url]

[quote name=‘baballuci’]Can you share the links to these sites?

Do you mean something like this?

[url]http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex16/chainedselects/index.htm[/url][/QUOTE]

Yes, that’s exactly what I’m looking for.

Whether the Shane referred to in Joe’s post and the Shane referred to in the “mod by Shane” are one and the same, I have no idea.

Thanks.

Well … I’ve finally done it. I still need to fine-tune a few things with the styles and such but at least I have things working - a brand new search page with the relevant links opening in a new frame. Hopefully it will make it a lot easier for people to find what they are looking for.

Many thanks to baballuci for getting me started with the dynamic drives menu. It wasn’t really all that scary once I got started!

So check it out here - www.eziautoparts.com.au/parts_search.php. If anything isn’t working properly, I would appreciate being let know. I have tested it myself in Firefox, Internet Explorer and Chrome and everything seems to be working OK from my end.

I also have a link using the ads feature on my main pages.

I would also appreciate any comments (but not too many negative ones please!!). It’s been a lot of work and a big learning experience.

Have you seen any shopping website uses frame???

It’s very confusing what to do in the website…Suddenly ask me to download a pdf, suddenly ask me to login to redirect to another page, after login, try to search, ask me to login again…

What are you trying to accomplish?

I really don’t think frame is a good way to go.

Just my own opinion.

How about others?

Thanks for your reply Joe. I do agree it could get a bit confusing. However, this is not my home page but merely a search page people are able to go to if they don’t know which part number they need for their particular vehicle. I am trying to keep people on my site to search instead of sending them off to other sites to search.

Unfortunately, some of the links do involve putting in user names and passwords and I thought it better to give people instructions rather than having them confronted with a login page and thinking they were not able to access the relevant site.

If you have any other suggestions as to how I might accomplish this search feature, I would really like to know as I can’t think of any other solution as to how people can find out the part number they need for their particular vehicle.

If they already know the part number, all they have to do is type it in the search box on the home page and they won’t even have to go near my search page. It is merely there for people who don’t know the part number. I will be adding instructions to my home page but have run out of time today.

For example, you may want a set of disc pads for your 1990 Nissan Skyline but have no idea what the part number is. You could Google it, but you can just go straight and look it up on my search page, type the number in the search box at the top and add it to your cart.

So I am definitely open to any other suggestions as to how I can achieve this.

And thanks for your comments.

[quote name=‘Lyn’]Whether the Shane referred to in Joe’s post and the Shane referred to in the “mod by Shane” are one and the same, I have no idea.[/QUOTE]

No, I’m the Shane that wrote those mods for our websites (natauto which is in development, and ineedparts which is being switched to 2.0), but I didn’t write that forum post with the question.

I’m amazed that I haven’t stumbled across this page sooner!

I’ve been reading and posting to this forum for quite some time, and someone just sent me the link here.

If you still have any questions about these, they were really developed for 1.3.5 (sp3), and I’m still getting into the swing of things with the new 2.0 architecture. Some of the mod’s tables and fields are proprietary, but I can certainly help with some questions about the mod code.

(maybe I should start commenting my php with ‘/// MOD by cheebs’)

Thanks!

:slight_smile: Shane

(cheebs)