Default free shipping when using code

I have setup a free shipping code for orders over $50 on my store. What happens is that when customers are in the view cart page they calculate their shipping charges before input the promotional code.

Then when they input the free shipping code, the free shipping option appears correctly among the shipping options available, but it not selected by default (which would make more sense).

They have to actually select the radio button for free shipping otherwise they are still charged for shipping.

Same happens if they go directly at checkout. In the checkout page, under the shipping section they are displayed some shipping options based on the shipping address they provided, then they can input the promotional code and the free shipping appears but it is not defaulted. They need to select it again using the correspondent radio button.

Now many customers apply the code but then they do not select free shipping among the shipping rate options (thinking the shipping will be free since they are using the code) and they get charged shipping anyway.

Is there a way to default the free shipping option when customers use the free shipping coupon code?

[quote name='cherubrock74' timestamp='1357750857' post='152512']

I have setup a free shipping code for orders over $50 on my store. What happens is that when customers are in the view cart page they calculate their shipping charges before input the promotional code.

Then when they input the free shipping code, the free shipping option appears correctly among the shipping options available, but it not selected by default (which would make more sense).

They have to actually select the radio button for free shipping otherwise they are still charged for shipping.

Same happens if they go directly at checkout. In the checkout page, under the shipping section they are displayed some shipping options based on the shipping address they provided, then they can input the promotional code and the free shipping appears but it is not defaulted. They need to select it again using the correspondent radio button.

Now many customers apply the code but then they do not select free shipping among the shipping rate options (thinking the shipping will be free since they are using the code) and they get charged shipping anyway.

Is there a way to default the free shipping option when customers use the free shipping coupon code?

[/quote]

I think this could be a very good issue to solve…it would save lots of time not having to deals with customers refund of shipping charges that should have been free in the first time. Is there any way to make this free shipping option default when coupon code is used? Please post your suggestions…